Clear all

rectifier or not?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all. heres my situation: By the time summer rolls around, Im going to have enough money to buy myself a "real" amp. Ive been looking at marshalls and mesa boogies. More specifically the combo versions of their best selling heads.
Now, one of my friends has a setup where he puts a podXT through two high quality speakers and thats his setup.
I simply cant help but wonder what is better? Buying a dual rectifier head or combo or a marshall, or buying some quality speakers and running a podlivext into them?? the money wont be an issue. any comments?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A pod is only a preamp, at best. You'll get bedroom volume and no more (it's probably 1/2 or 1W). To gig that set-up, he'll have to mic the speaker.

To get gig volumes (without having to rely on there being a PA handy), you'll not only need a pre-amp, but also a power amp - which is what a head or a combo will give you.

If you have a tube amp, you'll be able to get both pre- and power amp saturation (the "brown sound"), without the need for an fx unit. With a solid state amp you'll need an fx unit to get an approximation of tube sound - this comes built-in to the so-called modelling amps.

If I had the cash available, I'd buy a tube amp and consider what 2 or 3 fx pedals I would need/want.

I know there will be dissenting voices, but that's my opinion.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well he doesnt mic it...he has some sort of volume eq that he puts on it that i think came w/ the speakers. he also gets to run it through his computer and record onto his PC.
maybe if i wanted more of a rock sounds i could buy a cabinet and put the pod into that?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Most 'home' speakers have a build in power amplifier that will make it possible to get it through speakers. It really depends on what you're after. For home usage/recording I'll definitely chose the pod, for live performance it is a matter of preference.

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

if moneys not an issue than go for a mesa road king with a custom finish it will last longer than a pod going through some speakers and if you need to you could get some effects

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow...lol a few weeks later, but hey thx for the reply...ive actually settles on a vintage Mesa Mark2C+. Did my research and found these. Now i just gotta sit by ebay and other online ad services patiently waiting.......in the future im gonna get a dual rec, a marshall, and a fender twin....i think ill have every available tone....the road king supposedly can do all of these, but i dunno. i guess id have to play one to see for real.

ReplyQuote