Clear all

Seperate Channel Monitors

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, my band mates each have their own preferences for what they want to hear in their monitors (I guess they didn't like me telling them what they "SHOULD" want to hear). Our mixer has two monitor channels. What would anyone suggest as teh cheapest and/or easiest solution to add two or three more monitor channels? I'm not sure how to do this without buying a bigger board which as like 4 monitor channels....

Any suggestions?

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

(@leear)
Honorable Member

this always seems to be a problem. I have 6 aux outs and still run short sometimes. (i use 1 for FX) if your board has an FX out u can use one of those that would then give you 3 (now remember you will be probably needing an external amp now, if I remember me and WES helped you pic a Behringer Powered board and some more PA a while back) I'd suggest a Behringer 1500 great amp I own 2 for monitors so I can do 4 mixes.

So now you have Aux 1, Aux 2, and FX out (if board is complaint I can't remember). Sometimes if you have a Mono out you can get a FOH mix to someone like the drummer who likes to hear everything usually.

Sub group outs are possible but It takes some thinking.

My other suggestion is tell the group they will have to compromise. couple 2 monitors together and have the Bass and Guitar player share usually they can agree on what's being heard. Then couple 2 more together and have the drummer and singer share. etc.... things like this sometimes work but usually involves more monitors speakers and another power amp.

If I need to go into more detail let me know. I probably confused you I convey messages wierd sometimes.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Could buy a small board with 2 aux outs on it. Direct out of your main board into the inputs on the smaller board and send other mixes, but man that gets complicated and cabling can be a nightmare.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Personal mixers ... but that's darned expensive.

As leear says, compromise is the key. Good idea to use the fx send as well. Three mixes should get you pretty far.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

You're memory serves you well that we did indeed select the Behringer system.

Using the FX out is a great idea! I am not picky at all. I have 4 decent monitors, so if I got two 2-channel amps, I should be all set? I was actually looking at the 1500.

I have another question, but I don't want to jump this topic, so I'll start another thread.

Thanks for the quick response!

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Here is one more little tidbit. I also have a small powered mixer that I use to run Mon 2 out. So I have Mon 1 on the board powering two monitors and Mon 2 out going to the small p-mixer and powering two additoinal monitors.

I am thinking about adding two more FOH speakers to the main board and then if I buy just one of the 1500's I could send Mon1 and Mon2 there and still use the small p-mixer to power my other two monitors using the FX out?

Does this make sense as an option?

Thanks again!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

what is the purpose of the new FOH speakers I lost it somewhere? Let me know and I can help you I just can't figure out what you are trying to tell me.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

OK I read your other post got an idea....

I am not a fan of the MONO setup though it works great I love a Stereo rig. When you mic instruments you can Pan L/R and create an awesome stereo image.

So I'd run (2) 8ohm speakers from Output A and (2) 8 ohm speakers from Output B.

Now for monitors:
I looked at all the Behringer powered boards they all have Mono, Main, Mon 1, Mon 2, and FX output sliders.

My setup would be use Main out to pushe the FOH like I mentioned above.

Then I'd come from Mon1 into the Behringer 1500 and mon 2 into the other channel Then FX out into my smaller powered board to power the 3rd monitors. You can have 3 mixes.......

Also I forgot. Behringer makes a great active speaker. Don't buy an amp just buy the powered speaker and run signal from your outpus Mon1 Mon2 and FX to it.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Leear, thanks for the feedback. I like your suggestion. I am anxious to try it. It will take a bit of investment, but I think everyone will appreciate having three monitor mixes.

Thanks for all the help!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, I am almost convinced to push the button. First, let me make sure I understand...

1. The board I have has an FX1 and and FX2.
2. The output is FX1 + FX2 (one jackthat combines the two).
3. There are two built-in effects processors on the board.
4. Each channel has a knob to control the amount ofeach effect.
5. There are controls for each FX which control which effect is used and the level of the effect.
6. Each FX has a slider for mix.

So, if I have each FX turned off (I think I do this by turning the FX to mon and FX to main knobs all the way down?), I can then use the FX level knob for each channel to control how much each one will be sent to FX out? Just like the mon1 and mon2 knobs do now? And this gives me my third monitor mix for which the level is controlled with the FX (1 or 2) slider?

It kind of makes sense to me, but I guess I should play with it going through my small mixer to make sure I can get it to work before I buy the new amp.

Please let me know if my logic is correct or if I am missing something.

Thanks again!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Your logic is correct, but you are right test it with your smaller powered board first....I looked at the manual it may be able to help you as well.. I read it as it has 2 seperate FX outs so you then can do 4 monitor mixes... I may have read it wrong or read the wrong info on for your specific one. I read the Euro 5000. You FX may have a bypass switch I believe it has an on/off switch if you turn them off you can then use them to send signal to an external FX unit, but in your case it's going to be a power amp.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just tried it out and it works perfectly. That is the right mixer, but I only have one FX send. It is labeled as "FX 1 + 2". I just turned own the FX 1 to mon1, mon2 and main knobs. Then treat FX1 as if it were mon 3. It would b3 nice if I could do a third mix with the FX 2, but I'll just have to borrow someone elses mix. Again, I'm not picky.

Thanks again for all your help. This was a GREAT tip!

Jim

ReplyQuote