Settings on amp/guitar (Newbie)

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there.

Yesterday I purchased my first electric guitar and amp - a second hand Jackson Performer and a small Fender 15R Practise Amp (with drive and reverb settings).

I had a play yesterday, but when I think about the number of different combinations when twiddling seven knobs and a button on the amp, and two knobs and a five position switch on the guitar, I start to get a headache...

In the short time I had to play it last night, I could not find a satisfying sound, either when looking for a clean or distorted effect.

I know you're supposed to play around with the  settings until you find a sound that is pleasing to you, but can anyone out there give me a little 'head-start' on a few settings that will give a good sound while I still get use to the feel of the guitar?

Many thanks in advance!

(@Anonymous)

I'm in the learning how to use an amp phase, too. so take my advise with a grain of salt.  Also, I don't know this amp, so some things I say might not make sense, but there is probably some equivalent.
   I would say to simplify.  You should get two settings you like to start, one clean and one driven, you can find other sounds and tweak later.  
    Pick two positions on the guitar switch,  say 2 and 4, with the bridge emphasized for lead and overdrive and the neck emphasized for clean and rhythm.  Turn the tone knob(s) on the guitar all the way up or just a little rolled off, to start.  I set the volume on the guitar up around 6-8 (out of 10, if there are no numbers) when looking for drive, then I have room to adjust the noise at the guitar later.  I set the volume low, maybe 2-4, when looking for a clean setting.  Then leave the guitar settings alone while you work on the amp.
    For the clean, set all the knobs straight up (your not using the drive channel).  This should be pretty clean.  Adjust the volume at the amp to something acceptable.  Tweak the tone knob settings to taste, but probably stay near center.  Maybe bass=8 mid=7 treb=5.
    For dirty, turn on the drive channel, turn down the clean volume and turn the drive volume to 2.  Turn up the clean volume to a resonable volume.  maybe set the tone knobs at b=8 m=3 t=8, midrange can often sound muddy with overdrive, this will tend to give you more of a metal sound.  For a bluesier sound keep the midrange around 5.  You then need to adjust the drive level up and the volume level down to get the sound you're thinking of.  Lower values will be bluesey, middle will be crunchy, high will be distorted.  This has to be done by ear.  If you get close to something you want tweak the tone knobs to see if that gets you closer.
    As you play you will want to make fine adjustments at the guitar.   A little less treble maybe, and you can turn the drive up and down with the guitar volume.  There is a relationship between the guitar volume and drive volume that you will want to explore if you can't get the right sound.
    I hope that gets you started.  Maybe some of the experts can give you some better info.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have friends who are soundmen, and all of them seem to agree on this;

Listen carefully to the sound and ask yourself what is wrong with it. Too much Bass? Muddy sounding? Too high frequency or harsh? Then ask what you can REMOVE or LESSEN to make it sound better.

Let's say the sound is too boomy, too much bass, muddy sounding. Well, turning up the treble might bring out the high end more, but it will probably still sound muddy. Probably the better solution would be turning down the bass.

I think it is human when you see Bass, Middle, and Treble controls that go from 1-10 that we naturally want to turn each up to 10. We almost feel we HAVE to. Why can't you set the Bass on 1? If you like the sound, go for it.

Try to forget about the numbers and go for the sound.

One thing that might help. Turn all tone controls to zero. You will be surprised but the amp will still have sound. Now start with the Bass. Turn it up a little at a time and listen carefully to it. Try each pickup setting. Try your guitars tone controls as well. Now turn the bass down and do the same thing with Middle, and then Treble. This will give you a feel for your amp and guitar. Try different settings for Gain on your distortion channel.
It takes awhile.

I have owned my current amp about 1 1/2 years. I think I am just starting to get great sounds out of it.

Don't feel bad. I don't know of any guitarist who is not searching for the ultimate tone. We are chasing ghosts.

Welcome to GuitarNoise LongDave

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks fellas - food for thought.

:)

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Just a a key point here; Don't fiddlearound with tone or volume controls on the actual guitar. They only reduce the signal, and therefore worsen the tone. Do it all at the amp.

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Something to try. Set the tone stack (tone controls) to their mid position (12 o'clock), set any preamp gain's to about 8 and the master volume anywhere from 0 to 2 1/2, this will give you overdrive sound to start with.

To get a more blues'y sound roll back the preamp gain and a little cut on the bass and treble.

Joe

ReplyQuote