Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Silly knobs

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I got my first amp/guitar, and I've been messing with the all the knobs.  My amp is just a marshall practice amp, which has clean volume, OD Gain, OD volume, Bass, Contour, Treble, and some FDD button.  What kind of settings should these be set to for each genre?  I've got the rock/metal figured out (no brainer), but I'm wondering what would be best for like country, blues, acoustic guitar, pop etc.

Also, is there any way to get a similar sound to the guitar part from I Feel Fine, by the Beatles? (Epi LP for guitar)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I seem to remember that George Harrison used either a Guild or a Gretsch on that record, whichever it was I'm sure that it was a hollow bodied archtop - which means that a lot of the sound is generated by the acoustic properties of the guitar rather than electronics.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Different volume setting and pre-amp gain setting can give a large variety.
also how the EQ is adjusted is important.

Here's a few to play around with. http://guitarrage.virtualave.net/amplifiers/general/settings.html

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome I'm glad it helped...

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@tone4days)
Eminent Member

i feel fine had a lot of tremelo on it - if your amp doesnt have this effect, you wont be able to cop it exactly

for country, you want to use the clean channel and reduce the bass and tweak the mids to taste with plenty of highs

blues are typically mid heavy with rolled back highs ... set the OD gain just high enough so that it 'grits up' a little when you really dig in with your pciking ...

acoustic is gonna be hard ... a lot like country, but maybe a touch more mids and bass - but not too much

good luck - have fun

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I tried out all that stuff.  It helped a lot.  But, as always led to more questions.

I'm working on some blues songs at the moment.  One is SRV - Look at Little Sister, and the beginning part is:
   -----------------------------
   --2--2--4--0--2--2--4--0----
   --0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0----

Now, my problem is the low E string overpowers the A string and I can't hear it that well.  The 2-2-4-0- is hard to hear.  What settings could I change to remedy this?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I tend to suffer the same problem. In my case I find it is due to slack picking. I tend to pull back on the picking of the second string for some reason (maybe to avoid hitting the next string, I don't know). If I concentrate on my picking, it disappears.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Greybeard, I checked into that too.  It *might* be it, but I don't think so.  It gets better if I really wail on the strings.  But I don't have problems playing shuffle on other strings, so it kinda makes me wonder.  For example, this sounds perfect:

---------------------
--7-7-9-9-7-7-9-6--
--8-8-9-9-8-8-9-8--
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

Oh, my settings are OD Gain 3, Volume 4-5, bass 5, countour 7, treble 4.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What happens when you play the open strings? Just try comparing the volume of the low E to the A by strumming the strings separately.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote