Clear all

Small Studio Speakers

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a Carvin PA800 1000 total watts, 333 for each speaker plus 333 for the monitors. Ok, here is the deal, the PA was a gift and is overkill for what I need but will keep it because I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. That being said the speakers I already have are huge, way to big for my studio/bedroom. I would like a small pair of speakers that can handle the PA. 8" to 10" in size Max. Its usually just me playing an acoustic might have a friend join me. What do you people suggest?

Thanks

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Just because it *can* push 300+ watts at the speaker, doesn't mean it *has* to.

You could easily look at 125 watt bookshelf speakers, as long as you don't turn the master level up past "3".
And in a bedroom, I don't think that would be something you are likely to do anyway. (if you value your ears)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kent, that's what I was looking for. Do stereo speakers work?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Thanks Kent, that's what I was looking for. Do stereo speakers work?

Sure, as long as you know how much power they can handle, and keep your levels appropriately low.

Err on the side of caution, though. If you have speakers that are only capable of accepting 10 watts, you might re-think it. That would need the level to be set down to about 2% to stay safe.
And if you are overloading a set of speakers, there won't be instant smoke to tell you something is wrong. The paper cone will probably start ripping itself apart first.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote