Clear all

Snake question

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just got a new mixer and a snake. The snake has xlr inputs for all the mixer's channels plus it has 8 returns. I'm new to PA setup so I have a few questions. My mixer has xlr out puts for the left and right mains, so I'm assuming I hook up two of the returns to them and patch the other side to the inputs of my main speakers' power amp. I have two monitor outs on the board so I'm assuming I run them to the return and patch the other end to the monitors' power amp. Sound right?

Basically, what I'm trying to do is set up a PA consisting of 4 monitors, 2 mains, a mixer, monitor power amp, main power amp, and locate the mixer at the back of the club and the power amps on stage. Sound like I'm on the right track?

(@leear)
Honorable Member

sounds like you've got it..... if you use any external Eq's or anything always run from board to EQ then out of EQ to amps. Other than that you've got the idea.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It is unlikely that the snake has the XLRs in the proper gender to use as returns. However, the 1/4" connections are probably stereo, so you can use an XLR to stereo adapter for this.
Alternately, use the 1/4" outputs from the mixer/EQ and don't worry about it. There are almost no noise issues with line-level (output) signals.

ReplyQuote
(@adrock)

I just got a new mixer and a snake. The snake has xlr inputs for all the mixer's channels plus it has 8 returns. I'm new to PA setup so I have a few questions. My mixer has xlr out puts for the left and right mains, so I'm assuming I hook up two of the returns to them and patch the other side to the inputs of my main speakers' power amp. I have two monitor outs on the board so I'm assuming I run them to the return and patch the other end to the monitors' power amp. Sound right?

Basically, what I'm trying to do is set up a PA consisting of 4 monitors, 2 mains, a mixer, monitor power amp, main power amp, and locate the mixer at the back of the club and the power amps on stage. Sound like I'm on the right track?

Sounds good, and to make things simpler for you, go ahead and run the PA in MONO. In a live setting using a stereo setup and leave instruments dead in certain parts of the room. Also, you only use half as much stuff for the main output. Depending on what board you have and what other units are in your FOH rack it is much easier and really sounds no different than a stereo setup.

I can help you set the stuff up if you can give me some info.

What model and brand board are you using?
Same for mains
Same for subs
same for monitors
same for amps.

What stuff, as far as eq's, compressors, gates, etc, do you have in the FOH rack?

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have two JBL JRX 125 Mains 4 ohm (each has dual 15"s, so don't have subs). Two Soundtech 15" monitors 8 ohm. Two cheapo Fender Squire 10" speakers 8 ohm used for monitors. PV20 mixer. Carvin 1500 amp for the mains, Carvin 1025 monitor amp with built in dual eq for the monitors. The board has built in effects. Thanks for the help. I've always gigged with a house system in the past.

ReplyQuote
(@adrock)

I have two JBL JRX 125 Mains 4 ohm (each has dual 15"s, so don't have subs). Two Soundtech 15" monitors 8 ohm. Two cheapo Fender Squire 10" speakers 8 ohm used for monitors. PV20 mixer. Carvin 1500 amp for the mains, Carvin 1025 monitor amp with built in dual eq for the monitors. The board has built in effects. Thanks for the help. I've always gigged with a house system in the past.

Since the system is fairly simple as far as units go this is what I would do. Besides the mixer you should have an Eq and compressor for each signal you plan to send to the amps. Personally, I wouldn't trust the EQ that built into the amp because there's no way to compress the signal after it. Set the EQ's on the amp flat.

Get an XLR "y" cable and use it to combine the left and right outs of the mixer into one channel. Then run that to an Eq, from there to a compressor, from the compressor into channel A on the snake. Now connect channel A from the snake box to channel 1 of the mains amp. Set the mains amp to bridged mono and hook up the speakers accordingly. This way you're getting all 1500 watts from the amp.

The only Carvin amp with eq'a I can find pics and spec for is the DCM 1015. SO for these hookups I'm going off of it's specs.

Now for monitor mix 1 run out of aux send 1 from the board into an eq, from the eq to a compressor, out of the compressor into channel B on the snake. Have the amp setup to run in stereo. Now connect channel B on the snake box to channel 1 on the amp. Hook up two of the speakers to channel 1 and this should give you a 4 ohm load and you should get around 350 watts.

The hookup is the smae for the second monitor mix but of course the designations woould change as follows.
Out of Aux 2 to eq, from eq to compressor, from compressor to channel C on the snake. Connect channel C from the snakebox to channel 2 on the amp and hook two of the speakers to that channel.

This should utilize the mains and get you two monitor mixes that should have a healthy kick to them.

ReplyQuote