Notifications
Clear all

speaker flapping??

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hof63)
Topic starter  

Exactly what causes a bass speaker to flap? Is it too much low end, too much bass boost, not enough highs? I'm not playing any differently than before or with any different settings, but now I'm noticing this issue. My gear is a GK Backline 600 with an Ampeg SVT 15E bass cabinet and I play a 4 string Ken Smith bass. The EQ settings on the amp are: treble, hi-mid, low-mid, and bass. In the output section there is the master and boost knobs. If I lower the boost settings it seems ok. I'm confused, that to my knowledge, I never had to worry about speaker flapping. My speaker was checked out and it is fine, no tears or any other issues. I will say that when I first heard the flapping my amp gear was on a stage back behind me (large stage and outdoors) and I was playing my bass harder than in the past and had to kick up some settings to hear my playing. I know each room and different playing environments; EQ settings need to be modified, but in all of my years playing I never had to be concern. It's really no big deal to make EQ adjustments, but I'm just curious if this happens to other people and what did you do.

(@leear)
Honorable Member

To my knowledge (which may not span far compared to some) your speaker is getting too much, power too much, low end, too much something. If you noticed it that gig where you had to turn a few things to hear, you probably pushed something too far.... I.E: If you increase the mid range, bass, or treble, technically you either boosted or cut the volume. If you have a boost knob and a master volume, The louder you need to get, you should turn down the boost and at the same time turn up the master. If you boost an EQ you should cut down your master volume a bit. Any tweak will change the entire structure... This will cause the speaker to "flap"

Again someone correct me if I'm wrong I'd like to hear other explanations.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member

my blues junior tube amp does the same thing ... when ever i try to push the volume and bass all the way it sounds like the amp is farting.. hahahaha

i suppose like me your just pushing it too hard like me!

ReplyQuote
(@hof63)
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks to all!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Amps with no negative feedback are a lot more prone to "farty" bass than those with it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote