Step-up transformer for Amp

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@strangedata)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I have a full tube amp that I bought in Germany and now I'd like to use it in the US. It's 220V, so I need an step-up transformer to use it here. Currently I'm using a 750VA 110-to-220V transformer, but I feel it's really overkill (not to mention OVERSIZED :roll:)

I don't know how many Watts its power source drains, but I used a meter to find out how many Amperes it uses. I connected it to a 220V outlet and found out that it's using 0.15A of current.

The thing is, I'm not sure if 220*0.15 converts to 33W. I know that there's this thing called power factor that I should take into consideration when calculating power in an alternated current circuit, but I'm not sure what it should be for a tube amp.

So, is a 50W step-up transformer enough?

Cheers!

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Does the manufacturer ship all over the world? If yes, then you may already have a multi-tapped primary transformer, and you just need to rewire it. Some vendors have jumpers or other methods.

ReplyQuote
(@strangedata)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

They ship it all over Europe, but I don't know if they change the power source before shipping (or even if 110V is found in Europe).

The problem is that the vendor is not really accessible, and the amp doesn't come with any manual or inscriptions in the back. :(

ReplyQuote