Clear all

Subs?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm currently taking the outputs from my desk and running them into a 31 band graphic eq, then into a Behringer autocom compressor then into an active crossover.
The bottom end can be crossed over at 250, 500, 800 and 1k.
If I crossed the output over at 250 and boosted the frequencies below and including 250 on the 31 band eq, would this have the same effect as using a sub or are subs a bit different to this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
???

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What speakers are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

At the moment, two 15s rated at 150 watts each for bottom end (out of old roland boxes!)and two old peavey sp2s for mids and highs.
The bottom is driven at 225 watts a side and the peaveys are 200 a side all at 8 ohms.
Hopefully getting new speakers soon and using these ones as side fill and drum monitors though.
The amps will run at 300 and 350 a side at 4ohms.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sean- Go to this site, and ask these guys. They will be able to answer any questions about crossovers.

http://disc.server.com/Indices/22769.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I'm gonna put my neck out here and give a direct answer.  The idea of "sub" woofers implies that you already have woofers wich only can reproduce fequencies as low as the upper low end frequencies say between 200 and 350 hz. Though most standard woofers are capable of frequency's well below this to some extent, which leads one to assume that you are limiting your woofers to those frequencies for better sonic definition and compensating the bottom with a sub or subs. So to put it shortly the subwoofer is a sales pitch that most people have bought into. If your peaveys are capable of producing some decent low end and your 15's are taking up the slack on the really low frequencies  it's just as good as having subs or you might even say they are your subs.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll add a couple of cents to the subject. The range of frequency will usually range between 50 and 200 Hz. You might try lowering the other frequencies rather than boosting the ones you suggested. this will give you a little more head room.

The major misconception for most is always thinking boost this and boost that when really if you cut the other ones will create the a better sound.

just my thoughts.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!
I agree totally with the idea of cutting in prefference to boosting...but sometimes I get a little tempted ;)
Once again, thanks!
Sean

ReplyQuote
(@wailingalleycat)

I would say its up to what music your playing.

We play alot of techno and drum n bass so we need alot of bass kick.

Thats why when we get our new black widow subs they are more powerful than the mid range.  Just for the fun of it.

-paul

Always remember that feedback is verypainful to the ears and should not be used against someone for a joke. HAHA

ReplyQuote