Clear all

Suggest bass amp

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@scott58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was originally looking at the Ibanez sw35 for my acoustic because of the price, but have also lookied at the sw65 for $75 more (plus it has a 12" speaker instead of a 10"). My acoustic has a really bright sound to it and i was hopeing a bass amp would give it a bit deeper tone over the peavey transtube 110 (40watt) i'm using now. This is just for personal use and i don't see gigs in my future (may change but who knows). I don't know squat about amps let alone bass amps, but i do want a slightly deeper tone. Is the SW65 worth trying or is there something that might work a little better in the $200 to $250 range? Actually buying a bass guitar in the future isn't out of the question either. Want something decent, but don't need highend. Thanks

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean 79 ML (silverBurst) Dean 79 ML Arctic White
Dean V-Wing Dove
Wampler SuperPlextortion - Skreddy Lunar Module
Peavey Transtube 110 EFX - Vox DA20 - Valve Jr Head/Cab
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

A lot of the newer bass amps have tweeters, which will make your sound even brighter. You might try just setting your present guitar amp's tone controls 'flat' - knobs, graphic eq, etc - and then work from there. If your amp has a bright switch, click that off, and then play around with the bass and mid freq controls. You can't add too much bass because you might get a low-end feedback with a hollow acoustic.

Amplified acoustics sometimes just sound bright through an amp, especially if you have piezos, and playing through an amp is usually only needed when playing live, where the brightness makes up for the live sound system. If you're playing at home, it's not such a problem, but live - it's almost like you have to sound unnatural in order to sound natural.

Best

PS - bass amps and acoustic guitar amps usually have a closed-back cabinet, which gives more depth of sound - maybe that's what you're trying to get at. In that case...yah, maybe a bass amp if you can't get an actual acoustic guitar amp. :)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I play my acoustic guitar through the PA at church and use my bass amp as my monitor. Sounds great. It colors the sound a little bit, but does not add deep low end - in other words, it's mostly just going to reproduce and amplify what you put into it. You can play with the EQ to warm it up a bit though.

My amp does have a separate tweeter, which helps with the higher frequencies.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've adjusted this thing as many ways as you can think of on the eq. I did get some fairly good results running it through my effects modeler (which is what I'm going with right now). i'm just wondering if the a bass amp with a lower freqency responce will "hear" more then what my existing equipment does. Like I said I don't know that much about it, but i have purchased a few stereos in my time and understand the value of a 15" woofer. thanks

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing Dove
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I happen to like the idea of a bass amp for an acoustic / electric guitar. I find guitar amps are voiced a bit bright for my taste. That said I just saw a musician while on vacation playing his Gibson acoustic through his beat up old PA system. The speakers were small and looked home made. They had 4 very small speakers and a horn in each. I'm guessing like 6" speakers. It sounded great but I think the musician had a bit to do with it. He was good.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

A guy on another forum suggested a PA. Said it would probably cover the frequency range just as well and mentioned a Phonic power pack 620 that comes with 2 10" speakers and has 6 channel power mixer.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620SEM710-PA-System?sku=636502

The specs sound cool enough and it's a bit more then what I wanted to spend but it seems to cover so much it would probably be worth it. If I ever get to the point where i wanted to start recording I'll be that much farther ahead. What do you guys think of the PA's you've used and has anyone used an actual mixer over something like the rp 300a modeler I have? Thanks

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing Dove
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you plan to use it for bass as you stated above, that system's frequency response will really limit you.

"Frequency response: 65Hz-20kHz"

Not much low end. You'd like to see something in the 40Hz area for bass, or lower.

But yeah, for acoustic a PA is a great alternative - very functional. Don't know anything about the Phonic brand though; I'd splurge on JBLs.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote