Suround Sound, Could it be used like an amp

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 edd
(@edd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just a question could you some how connect up a suround sound system to a guitar in a similar fashion to an amp?

:D

(@elvisyo)
Eminent Member

In a way yes, thru an active DI (convert to line level), but why?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You more than likely need a line level signal into the system.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I guess it would work well if you use a modeling box like a Pod XT or Behringer V-amp 2.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's what I'm doing. guitar into both V-amp and Vox. Both seperate channels, one a bit to the left and the other to the right, then using stereo out into the soundcard into the surround set. You should be able to plug directly in the set as well.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

That's what I'm doing. guitar into both V-amp and Vox. Both seperate channels, one a bit to the left and the other to the right

Through some sort of splitter? And by one channel to the left and another to the right, you mean you have the VOX on one side of you and all the surround speakers on the other? (It confused me because "surround" is usally all around you .. two speakers + center + sub woofer in front of you and two back speakers behind you?)

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

the Vox' line-out goes into a seperate channel of the mxier, and is set to be more left then right, but not anything extreme. This mutes the speaker of the Vox. The V-amp goes into another channel, which goes into a stereo surround set, with one subwoofer and four speakers, each in every corner of the room. Its still 2D sound but coming from all directions. So both the vox and behringer sounds are coming from the speaker.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Cool.. pretty fancy, you must be able to get some interesting mixes ..(clean from one, distortion from the other..)

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I can record some sounds in a small MP3 if you're interested, but yeah, it's pretty cool for the relatively cheapness of the setup. I don't use a splitter though but the Behringer Hellbabe wah, which has a seperate output for non-modified sounds. So when I actually use the wah only the Vox gets modified which means the actual impact of the wah is far milder and more subtle.

If you have some stuff laying around you don't use start plugging things in it. Who knows what you'll find. 8)

ReplyQuote