Clear all

To modify or not to modify

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a wah-wah that I bought last year (used) that has a great low-end sound but whenever I try and play a solo high up on the neck, it sounds like the wah-wah completely thins out to the point where it sounds like there is no wah sound. I was just curious if there was any modifications i could do (or get someone to do, since I've never modified any of my pedals before). Also, it is a pretty old effects pedal, it looks like it's from the 70's and i picked it up for 80$ last year, should I just go out and buy a better one or could I get a reasonable sound out of the one I have, it's a Morley Wah (expression pedal, it's not an auto-wah) if anyone is curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as well, any recommendations for other wah pedals (under 150$ american, preferably). Thanks in advance.

Steve-0

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, there is many Mod's that can be done like re-voice, add volume controls, Q control, and several other gain controls, bypass to name a few. I know you can get crybaby mods that can be just dropped in a pedal with minor work. Morley's on the other hand, Unless you did the Mod's yourself it can get expensive. For that you could pick and few different pedals to experiment and practice with. Some of the newer ones are voiced different, plus have options to adjust setting.

Have you tried using a Eq either before or after the pedal? or both?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Actually I don't have (or know anyone who has) an EQ pedal but I thought it might be a decent idea picking one up, since it wouldn't hurt and that might fix the reason of why the bass is so high whenever i turn the pedal on. My two main goals would be this: make the wah stronger in the higher regions (when i'm soloing while using higher notes I can barely hear the wah) and I also want to take all that bass out of the mix (and yes, i have tried taking the bass out of the amp's EQ but that doesn't help at all)... are there mods that I can do that could fix this or would the eq pedal help??? Also, I went to the music store a couple days ago and tried out a dunlop original crybaby wah, i was quite impressed and it was 140$ (canadian) would it be worth it to modify it or just buy the crybaby wah-wah? Keep in mind that I don't know too much about fixing or modifying effects pedals, thanks again.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There does come from time to time when effects pedals no longer have there full potential. It could just need a little tweaking inside. You might think about getting the crybaby and/or the Eq., then when time permits and with some researching on the Mod setups experiment on the one you have now.

Who knows one day you could end up with a box called Pedal Heaven, thats a box were all the pedals and effects that no longer are used or broke go for that will fix or use again one day. Mine has become rather large over the years.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

you said the crybaby was $140 canadian you shold look at long and mcquade there only $99 canadian there and there is lots of them across canada.

ReplyQuote