To much bottom end!

37 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

As a few of you know, I have a HRD. I changed the pups in my Strat about a month ago and I still don't like the sound of them. I really should have done more research before I bought them but, that's another story.

So on to my question. My other electric is a 1982 Epiphone Spirit (duel humbuckings) and I feel like I'm getting to much bottom end from the amp (which seems normal compared to the Strat). But, I feel like there is a median that I am missing.

And to answer your question, Yes, I have turned the bass down and drive down. I'm playing on the clean channel. What am I missing? EQ?

What will take out the bottom end in my duel humbucking system?

In short, what will make my house STOP shaking!!!???

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, an Equalizer can make the difference between night and day. I use six of them and bracket everything, this allows me to fine tune everything between the different stages. You may want to try a frown face, which is lowering the highs and lows and accenting the mids.

Just a thought.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Who makes the "frown face" (or am I missing something)?

ReplyQuote
(@eclips3)
Eminent Member

I'm guessing here but something like this on a 7 pot EQ

Low ----------- High
__
__ __
__ __
__ __

A smilie would be the opposite :D

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

For example if you have a an Equalizer an ART dual 15 band Eq you can adjust these frequencies 25, 40, 100, 160, 250, 400, 630, 1k, 1.6k, 2.5k, 4k, 6.3k. Starting with the Eq set flat or 0 and you wanted to boost the mid range, you would really lower the 25, 40, 100, 2.5k, 4k, 6.3k. Which would give you a frown. Another one is also called a smiley face where you would lower the mid frequencies, which would give you a smile.

Hope this Helped.

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,..-:*'``'*:-.,_,.->.:: Joe ::.

ReplyQuote
(@eclips3)
Eminent Member

That definately didn't work, sorry

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That definately didn't work, sorry

Use the Code tag if you wish something to appear exactly as you type it.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

O.k. The frown would be on the EQ.

So do you think I should start with a 15 band EQ? And how many "bands" are out there that would do what I want? And what are some of the prices off the top of your head?

Thanks Again!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Are you getting this with only the bridge pickup turned on? Are you also getting the mids and highs you want? Something doesn't add up if you're getting boominess with the amp Low turned down.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Are you getting this with only the bridge pickup turned on? Are you also getting the mids and highs you want? Something doesn't add up if you're getting boominess with the amp Low turned down.

-Laz

I was thinking the same thing. I was playing my Strat for a while and my acoustic. Then I changed the pups in my strat and haven't played with it since. So I hooked up my Epiphone and I don't remember that much bottom end to it. Everything else sounds correct. It's just the bass. I've messed with all the knobs-bass-mid-treble-. Still to much bass.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker

Order a set of the JJ ECC83S preamp tubes from Bob at Eurotubes. Cost me $28 including shipping. The HRD is known for having a big bottom end.
I used to just turn down bass to 3 or less. But I kept reading reviews by people who said the JJ tubes really tighten up the low end. So I tried them just out of curiosity. They are awesome. They really do make a tremendous difference. Make sure to get a "balanced" tube for the phase splitter (the small preamp tube on the left looking from the back right next to the larger power tubes).

But get a good EQ like Joe said as well.

Eurotubes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wes,

1 set, both "balenced"? I have heard you talk about the JJ ECC83S's before. If you tried them and like them then, it sounds like the $28 will go to a good use. I'll order them tonight.

So I guess my next question would be, what EQ('s) should I get?

Should I get two? I also have the TubeScreamer. I'm sure Joe owns some where around 49% of some companies EQ shares! :shock: :lol:

And last but not least, what EQ('s) should I look for?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker

You will get 3 ECC83S's . Only one is "balanced". It is clearly marked on the box. The balanced tube goes in the Phase Splitter position. The other 2 are identical. When you order, just tell Bob they are for a Hot Rod Deluxe and that you are trying to tighten the bass. He will make sure you get the right tubes.

When you replace only the preamp tubes you do not have to bias your amp. You only do that when you replace the Power tubes (the big ones).
However, if you have a meter, give it a try. It is super easy. Just follow the instructions on the Unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe page. That will also make a big improvement in your tone.

You can even set the bias without a meter. Take off the back cover on the amp. (make sure the amp is off!). You will see the bias pot on the right side. It is big and bright blue with a little slot for a screwdriver. The picture is on the HRD website. Note the position of the slot. Mine was at about 1 o'clock position. Just give it a little tweak clockwise. When mine was correct it was at about the 2:30 o'clock position. Then crank the amp and give a listen. You should notice the amp is "warmer" sounding. It will also go into saturation a little earlier. Also look at the tubes. They should be glowing brighter than before. You might even see a blue glow. That is OK. But if a tube is glowing very bright, you have gone too far. I imagine your bias pot will be at about the same position as mine was. You can experiment and go a little at a time.

I think you will like the tone of the JJ tubes. At first, it was a little shocking to me. The amp really sounded quite a bit different. But each day I love it more. The bass never sounds farty now even when I crank bass way up.
Also the high end is not as piercing now. It is rounded off just a little. It is amazing what a $28 set of tubes can do for the sound of your amp. Save your old tubes as spares. Make sure to mark the one that was in the Phase Splitter position (I just put mine in the little boxes the JJ's came in).

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker

Many people swear by the Boss EQ pedal. But I tell you, I'd just go for the Danelectro. Much less expensive, but gets very good ratings. I like Danelectro products, I think they are great and some of the best prices around.

Danelectro 7 Band EQ

Boss 7 Band EQ

The Danelectro has practically the same great ratings as Boss for less than 1/2 the price. The Boss is probably more durable, but I take care of my equipment anyway. I've never had any Danelectro pedal break on me and I've used some for many years gigging.

I would read the reviews. Those are always good.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wes,

I didn't get the time to order them last night but I will tonight. Just to make sure I'm clear on this. I order- 3 ECC83S's / 1 "balanced" and the other two? Here is the link to the page -

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/bookdetailsub.php?message=20d779a167d71c3785fbec120149d8da&id=1%20&sid=20d779a167d71c3785fbec120149d8da

Are the other 2 just the "standard"? Or the "Matched Triode"?

Sorry the link so long, I don't know how to shorten it.

Thanks Again!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3