Notifications
Clear all

To much bottom end!

37 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Have you ever considered other amplifiers? I felt the same way you did, I hated the way my guitar sounded. I thought it was a number of things: pickups, the way I played, the guitar in general. I finally realised that it wasn't any of that when I started playing the beautiful sounding amp that my guitar teacher had, so I've decided to save up for a new amp. So my point is, even if you are getting an unusaully heavy low end, it could just be the amplifier itself.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You'll have to have all of us over to help you test out the new tubes..lol

Joe

Mi casa su casa!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Isn't that about and hour's drive North of Puerto Vallarta. With lots of birds and even real crocodiles?

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, the amp is doing great.

I just thought I'd do an update on my Strat pups.

I went to Guitar Center today and bought the Fender Custom Shop Texas Special pups. I put them in and between having the amp sounding better and FINALLY having my strat back (I put new pups in a month ago and didn't like the sound so I went out today and bought the Custom's). I have to say the combo of the two changes are getting me closer to the sound I am looking for.

The pups sound awesome. Nice, brite, clean and clear. The amp sounds awesome with alittle less bottom end. Life is good(untill I have to go to work tomorrow)!

I still want the Blues option #2 though.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update. Always good hear when things turn out positive. I know you've heard me talk about Equalizers and Attenuators, there something that ever guitarist should have in their box of toys right along side the other effects. (compressor, distortion, delay, chorus, etc.). Worth the time experiment with. How I mainly use the attenuator is to just minus a couple dB's from the speaker out to allow me to run the amps hotter.

Sure the more dB's you cut the lower the volume and then Mic the speakers or run a line out into another Eq, amp, speaker setup like I do. Kind of gives me the best of both worlds. I get that cranked amp sound at lower volumes and still can add enough volume to bring the house down. Thats how I can get that screaming sustained lead tone, not to say what it adds to the rhythms when I change presets on the pre-amp.

Something to think about.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Joe,

You have caught my attention a few times with the Eq's and Attenuators. They are going to be next on my ever growing list of things I want. While I was at Guitar Center I was looking at the Eq's but, they wanted $90 for a new one. So I looked at what they had for used ones but, they didn't have a very big selection. I was looking for the one that Wes had mentioned (Delectro Eq (Yea I don't know how to spell it) but, they didn't have one so I'll have to keep looking.

After spending $170. $140 for the pups and $30 on strings and other small things I was looking for a cheap Eq. But, I guess I should start saving again for a quality Eq.

After that I will look into the Attenuators. What was that one you had mentioned I while back, an attenuator from the 70's or gave you a 70's sound? I can't remember.

Thanks Again! (I have to go back to work now :cry: )

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

This maybe the one he was talking about. Danelectro 7-Band EQ Pedal.

Altair Power Attenuator. made one that has lasted through the years. Others would include Power Soak, Hot Plate, Marshall PowerBrake. What they do is allow you to control the volume after the amp and before the speakers. I can get controllable overdrive. This allows me to use all of the amp's distortion characteristics, including output stage distortion.

Guitarists try all sorts of things in order to find that secret weapon. I have found this to work best for myself. I use Art 341 rack mounted Eq's. From the attenuators I also use both the line out and speaker outs into Eq's back into more power amps. Both tube and/or transisiter amps, along with miked speakers, depending on the sound and tone I'm after. Most guitarists who own a tube amp have never tried adding an Eq pedal or two and a power attenuator.

Eq->Compressor,Overdrive,Distortion pedals->Eq>tube preamp->Eq->tube amp->power attenuator->amp's guitar speakers.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3