Clear all

Tone. Tone. Tone.

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. It seems that this is all I every post about but it continues to be my problem for years. :(

I just got back from my local guitar shop and I was playing a 199.99 dollar Ibanez Guitar through a 119.99 dollar roland cube amp. It was breath takingly powerful compared to my set-up now. I couldnt stop playing. It sounded so good to my ears. It made me WANT to play guitar. It made me want to learn more stuff and become better because of the way that combination sounded. Something about it, it was just amazing to my ears. It SCREAMED metal on the metal/delay/phaser FX settings.. and it screamed soul on the blues/low gain setting. I couldn't get over it.

Now my problem is this. I even talked to my local guitar shops people about it and they dont do justice.

I am beyond sad that a 199.99 dollar no-name pickup, ibanez running through a 119$ cube amp that is smaller then a shoe box screams, plays, souls out and shows up my set-up now so bad its not even funny. It blows my set-up out of the WATER in tone. Now what I don't understand is, why can't I have that sound through my set-up? I'm running a Jackson WRXT Warrior (500$), and a Behringer GMX 210 Amp (200$) and high quality live wire cables and Ive been playing around with my amp for almost 2 years. Using the different 100 Effects it comes with, and just SEARCHING for that sound that tone that LOVE.

Now, Im not coming on here asking for people to tell me that they think I should buy a tube amp, or that I should invest in a better amp, or I should buy the roland cube amp if I love it so much, or Behringer sucks or any of that. I'm looking for help on how to make my almost 800$ set-up sound as good as the $320 set-up I played on today.

I am a big metal fan as you all Know, and Ive been getting into some blues latley too. I am a HUGE FX person and love phaser, delay, and flange and all that.

Please arjen, or anyone on here, help me find the tone I'm looking for with the set-up I have now!!! I am also willing to invest in Pedals if needed, but no new amps, no new guitars. The goal here is I beleive that my 800$ set-up should be able to sound as good or better then a measly little 300$ set-up and i need help making it that way. Please anyone, pitch in, give tips and help!! Because of how basic my tone is, It almost forces me to stop playing guitar.

Thanks everyone!

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Here's a simple thing to try... maybe you have already done so.

Place your amp in a different part of the room? In another room? Get it off the ground? On the ground? Maybe your Room's Accoustic dynamic is 'damping' the sound(s)? Or Deflecting the sound(s).

Just a thought :)

Because you have an awesome setup <grin> it leads me to think it has something to do with the physical space your in. <Shrug>

Cheers.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Try bringing your guitar to the store and playing through the Roland Cube. Your amp could be the weak link. You need to know if it is the guitar or amp you need to work to get the tone you seek. Keep in mind the cost of the gear means nothing. My $99 Epiphone Valve Junior Head is the best sounding amp I own.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Dagwood: Good Idea, however I have moved from downstairs to upstairs in my rooms and they both have had the same problem. However it has been on the ground the whole time... Never thought of elevating it. Also, it has been pushed up against the wall the whole time, with the speakers facing away from the wall obviously, but do you think the back "inside" of the amp needs to breathe for sound? Its pushed up against the wall.

TRGuitar: I have brought my Jackson to the music store before. Not exactly this one, but another one, and I played on a marshall non-tube amp there, and using some different pedals I had that same amazing sound. So I dont think its the guitar at all. I do have a digitech death metal foot pedal, but I dont use it anymore, you cant get any "sane" tones out of it. Plug it in, and its nothing but pure insanity of distortion. Sure, if you play nothing but slayer it would be great, but I have much more taste then that, so I use the distortion from just the amp, which is a good distortion. Im not having a problem with distortion, or that it doesnt get loud because believe me it DOES, and it sounds decent, good lead tone and everything, but its MISSING something. A certain effect if you will. A warmth. A rich tone that it doesnt have and I WANT IT BADLY. I know its not tube, because I get the tone I love through non-tube amps as well.

Please more help!

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone Else?? Come on guys some of you can help me, its just that you probably havent seen the thread yet being in a smaller forum.. :(

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's 6 in the morning here but if you can muster a bit more patience I'll run my RG550 in my GMX212 and use nothing else. If I'm really bored I might even record something as an example. In any case, you don't need a Cube if you've got a GMX, it's just the Music Store Syndrome, everything always sounds better then what you've got there.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Great point man!! Thanks for the reply.

Hey listen, I would greatly appreciate some recordings of your GMX 212 if thats possible. Its only 9 pm here in cali, but I do have some patience, I added you on MSN why arent you on??

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I love my GMX 212 :D I can get good tone from any of my guitars. With my EVH I can get GREAT tone, but I have to work at it a bit harder :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

With your eddie van halen what? Pedal? Phaser? Charvel Guitar?

Im happy for you, now help me.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ephiphone Valve Junior, a simple $99 tube amp. I've got some samples of that in hi-gain from some time ago. I'l mot on MSN right now because I've been awake for the past 72 hours and a real conversation would be a bit too much excitement right now. Will get back to you later.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

oh.. then go the hell to bed! hahahahhahahahaha

Im so used to EVH standing for Eddie, Sorry about that..

More ideas welcome as always...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First thing is to get the amp away from the wall - you create the effect of a closed back system, which requires careful calculation of airspace, etc., to get the best tone. Although at bedroom levels, I'm not sure that the difference is going to be too great.
Music shops are, usually, open spaces with fairly reflective walls. Bedrooms tend to be comparatively small and full of sound deadening clutter (clothes, bed, wardrobes, etc).
Having the amp on the floor, probably means that your bed is getting the benefit of your playing. :lol:

Take the guitar to a shop, that has a Behringer amp and try a few settings there - particularly ones that you've tried at home.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Well I don't like the lead sound i get from my setup much either, but until I get some money there's not much I can do about it. I have a Zoom G2.1u multi-effect which does wonder for my tone, but that's mostly because the distorsion on my amp is really bad, and the Zoom has a 6-band EQ wich does the most sound shaping.

But even small details can effect the tone, like where you are playing. I always play in my room with the door closed. But I noticed when I played my classical guitar in the living room which is a very open spaced area the sound improved so much I it was playing an another guitar. I only have a cheap nylon string but it still sounded so amazing. So every little detail is worth checking out.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I am beyond sad that a 199.99 dollar no-name pickup, ibanez running through a 119$ cube amp that is smaller then a shoe box screams, plays, souls out and shows up my set-up now so bad its not even funny. It blows my set-up out of the WATER in tone. Now what I don't understand is, why can't I have that sound through my set-up? I'm running a Jackson WRXT Warrior (500$), and a Behringer GMX 210 Amp (200$) and high quality live wire cables and Ive been playing around with my amp for almost 2 years. Using the different 100 Effects it comes with, and just SEARCHING for that sound that tone that LOVE.
Did you play your "$700" setup before you bought it?

Did it sound good then?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Nexion, You have a good point. No I did not play it at all. I bought all of my equipment off of musicians friend.

But I did to some heavy re-search. I read plenty of reviews, and I got a Jackson because of Randy Rhoads behind Jackson, and I didnt get the cheap jackson I got the 500$ one, my amp had lots of good reviews and looked good so I just bought them. Back then, I was a complete newb at guitar, and now I wish that I spent more money on my amp then guitar and I wish I tested out my gear first but people make mistakes and thats why Im here, trying to figure out how to make the best out of the mistake I made.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2