Notifications
Clear all

Tone. Tone. Tone.

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the Roland cube amp sounds great. you heard it.
put it in a big room.like a club, with people, and drinking, and drums and PA I chances are it wont sopund the same way.

I have some small amps that I love to mike and overdrive. recorded they sound great.
they wouldnt somewhere else.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have an idea guys. I wanted to make this a new thread, but I know that people get flamed for starting new threads on the same topic practically. Well, I wanted to start a new thread because no one looks in this thread as if a new thread but here it goes, lets see how many people actually reply...

(deep breath)

Arjen Told me that he runs his GMX 212 Amp With a EVJ as its "head". The reviews on musicians friend explains that everyone absolutley LOVES that little tube head, and they all reccomend buying it. One guy even talked about selling his 2000$ Tube marshall because of it.

Arjen reccomends them as well, and they look pretty decent. Well, I was wondering, could I pretty much just set the EVJ right on top of my GMX and just use my GMX as the "cab"? My other question is, will I still be using the behringer's volume, gain, and treble controls to adjust how it sounds, or can I just make it as simple as the one volume control through the EVJ?? Or, Can I continue using the treble, high, gain, controls and the main volume control on the EVJ to make it more "tweak-able"?

Do you guys really think the EVJ is worth it for 99$? I LOVE the price. Being a 16 year old with no job currently, my parents and I love that its 99$, but does it do justice?

All I ever hear people talking about is how it isnt good for concerts and big gigs. Well, The most that tube head and my behringer amp will ever see is my bedroom, possibly my living room... maybe even if I go crazy in front of 3-4 people on a couch. LOL so yeah, I dont need much volume.

My other questions are, I heard that tube amps only experience there full power when there blaring loud. Well, I want to expeirence the REAL PURE TUBE sound as if it were maxed out in volume, while the volume is truely lower as in playing in a small room or so. I beleive thats called an Attenautor?? (sp)

Can I plug in or however the hell one of those things work into a EVJ??

I have lots of questions... so please somebody help me out..

Cliff Notes:

Because the behringer is a solid state will that take away any of the tube effect that the EVJ is bringing through it? Can I plug in a attenator into the EVJ? Can I use the EVJ as a head through the behringer as a cab? Is it really worth 99$? Does it give the warm good rich tone of a tube head/amp that all the reviewers and arjen says it does? What types of cables/hook-ups will I need to run the EVJ through my behringer if I even can? thanks everyone..

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My $.02.

You have perfectly acceptable gear.

Stop worrying about buying the next shiny thing and instead spend the time and energy playing and getting better.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I already told you this yesterday. You cannot connect the EVJ to the GMX without an attenuator or without modding your amp. You'll bypass the preamp on the GMX so can't use it's controls. The EVJ head does not have an EQ, so you can't use it. Get a seperate EQ if you want it. When you use the attenuator you will be using the poweramp in the GMX as well, 120W should be enough to entertain some people.

Most importantly: I gave you a clip yesterday which I recorded. That sound you heared is possible. But noone can take the responsibility and aswer this question about whether it will have your perfect tone. That's your job. As King said, a big part is your technique. Your GMX should give atleast a respectable sound, if it doesn't more gear won't have you as you either don't got the skills or the knowledge to use the gear properly. I suggest you record yourself here and say what you like to have changed, that might make more suggestions possible.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

honestly, from everything i'm reading, and everything i know about the EVJ (which isn't much), it sounds like you just have some G.A.S. syndrome with a little bit of "the grass is always greener". i don't really know the EVJ that much, but i don't think it would be too good for metal and such. for blues, it would be great, but i don't think it has the over the top distortion you need for metal. also, the behringer should be plenty of amp for what you are using it for. $99 is an amazing price for a tube amp, but is it $99 that you really need to spend? in my belief, no. but that is completely up to you.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Far be it from me to recommend playing your rig in the bathroom, but I just though I should throw that out there.. from what I've read on GN it's all the rage these days.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Far be it from me to recommend playing your rig in the bathroom, but I just though I should throw that out there.. from what I've read on GN it's all the rage these days.
For sure, I second! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2