Notifications
Clear all

Tonelab ST into a Micro Cube question.

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@philtho)
Topic starter  

I'm curious since the Micro Cube basically models other amps on all selections, and there isn't really a 'clean' mode, what would be the best selection for the Tonelab to be used on? The Tonelab itself does Amp modeling, and wouldn't amp modeling running through another amp modeling basically cause the world to end?

Or am I just over thinking this and just setting the Cube to the JC setting be just fine for using the Tonelab to do the amp/cab modeling if I wanted it to?

Edit: If the world does end when I get the Tonelab next week, so sorry!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

JC Clean is probably the best.

Cab modeling is for recording, and maybe with wide freq response PA. you certainly can use the cab modeling with the MicroCube, but the MC's tone is so heavily defined/limited by its tiny speaker/cab that the results may not be as evident as thru a PA, can or recorded.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@philtho)
Topic starter  

Well it arrived. I've found that using line-out switch on the back of the Tonelab then connecting to the Micro Cube using the MIC mode seems to sound the best. I've got a pocket Vox AC30 to compare the Tonelab ST AC30 amp to and it appears to mimick this sound the best. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions, I'll keep it at the MIC mode.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What is the "mic mode"? I use my GT-10 mic-out to computer when recording, and l/mono with lines/phones mode to my amp. The result through the amp is suprisingly clean. Into the computer, of course, is clean. If your mic mode is the same thing I'm doing, then I think we're either boith very right or very wrong. Either way, it sounds best....so I'd stick with it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a guess: if the mic mode is on the Tonelab, then it's for simulating a full amp recording setup including the mic in front of a cab or combo amp. example: guitar => EFX => AC30 => Shure Beta57 => mixing board/recorder.
the Tonelab would model everything in Red

sophisticated modelers have settings for mic model and placement.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@philtho)
Topic starter  

Sorry, I meant the MIC mode on the Roland Micro Cube. The Roland MC models a few other amps, none of which are just clean, and then it has an option for microphone. It really didn't occur to me to just use that mode. A coworker said modes like that are usually "hot" and to be careful.

I did get a splitter for the back of the Tonelab ST and put on some headphones to listen to the sound vs the sound of my Roland MC at the same time. Microphone mode on the Roland ended up being perfect for this using line out mode on the Tonelab. It matched what I was hearing in my headphones perfectly.

Outside of that, I really really enjoy the tonelab. Lots of fantastic tone for someone who doesn't have the room to own a pile of amps.

ReplyQuote