0 Likes
(@calithynation)
Topic starter  

Hey there im david
I just registered to this forum website today. :D

We are having a problem, (my band)

Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago, our guitarist bought a used guitar head
The Peavey 6505+
And we have a B-52 AT 4x12 Guitar Cab Previously being played with a Marshall G 100R CD Head

We are getting too much feedback! We play hard rock, and use a lot of distortion. We have the gain
knob 75% up, bass 75%, Mid 35%, high 75%, Presence and Resonance 75% up on the lead channel.
The rythym channel doesnt produce too much feedback, but we want to play on the lead channel
because we like that distortion a lot better.

We have considered getting a boss NS-2 (noise suppressor)
but i have been getting mixed answers, some people say it's impossible to cut out the feedback
with a pedal, some say it will help a little. We did try a Sabine Feedback Eliminator and did not
help at all. We might have to resort to an expensive rackmount feedback destroyer but we dont
know if that will even help. We need someone who knows about this kind of issue to help please.

By the way, we play directly into the amp, no floorboards or pedals at all.

He has an ibanez, humbucking guitar with active pick ups. we have tried different guitars
so we know its not the guitar with the issue, its the amp. It has too much power and we get
way too much feedback.

THANKS

(@alangreen)

Simple.

Sorry, but you need to start by turning the volume down, standing further away from the cab (or at least stand somewhere that's not directly in front of it) and then start tweaking the controls until you get the sound right without it feeding back.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I found turning the volume down on the guitar (not the amp) just a bit is the best solution for this problem. It also works out great if you're playing rythm and want to turn up the volume up for a lead part. If controlled correctly positive feedback can sound very good. Listen to Judas Priests "Beyond the Realms of Death". The last note in the first guitar solo by Glenn Tipton is a great example of this.

So, basically, turn the volume knob on the guitar down.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Alan is right.

The Peavey is marginally more powerful than the Marshall. All other things being equal, the additional "loudness" of a 120W amp over a 100W amp is marginal.

That says to me that you have turned everything up higher than on the Marshall.

First, you need to check your position on stage - as Alan says, if you're standing directly in front of your speaker, you're inviting feedback.

Start from a near clean output and turn things up until you are satisfied with the sound. You may well find that you're simply overcooking everything and you can get "your" sound at much lower levels (particularly "presence" and "resonance").

Whilst you're making the adjustments, stand (in relation to the amp) as you would on stage. Standing in front of the speaker to adjust the amp is self-defeating.

As for using the guitar volume, you'll find that the more gain you have to start with the less volume increase you'll get - you're just adding more gain and, therefore, distortion. That will, in turn, exacerbate any tendency to go into feedback.

As Niklas says, though, learn how to control feedback and it can be your friend. There are several guitarists that have learnt to control feedback and use it to their advantage during concerts.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@calithynation)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys
When adjusting the amp the guitarist will stand as far
Away from the amp as his cable permits, he also faces
Away from the speaker and I am the one adjusting the
Sound on the amp. So the first solution is also something
We did initially when having this problem. The second
Solution of guitar knob will work, however, when the
Guitar volume is down a lil bit, it cuts off some distortion
And resonance we love when palm muting. But either way
Our guitarist will have to learn to control feedback like you said.

On songs where the guitarist never pauses, we have no problem.
But there are other songs when we have a few short pauses
And while attempting to mute his guitar, the screeching
Shows up. So on those particular songs he will have to be ready
Adjusting the volume of his guitar.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I was just wondering if we could cheat using a behringer
Feedback destroyer pro, I have never used one and have
No idea what it does .
:-)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use a Boss NS-2 and it works for me. It won't stop feedback that happens while playing but it stops it when I'm not playing which is perfect for my situation.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@calithynation)
Topic starter  

I use a Boss NS-2 and it works for me. It won't stop feedback that happens while playing but it stops it when I'm not playing which is perfect for my situation.
Thanks man I will buy a used one for about $50 and see for myself.
I appreciate your reply, I had been getting very mixed answers about the Boss NS-2.

ReplyQuote