Skip to content
Traynor custom valv...

Notifications
Clear all

Traynor custom valve 20WR - anyone know anything about them?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a small tube amp with an effects loop that I can use at home as well as for jamming....I am into a classic rock tone, but play everything from classic to modern rock. My guitar is an Ibanez artist (Les Paul like)

I've been looking at the Traynor custom valve 20 WR......anyone familiar with them?

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=18&id=251

I like the fact it has an effects loop, so I can use my GT-6 with it. I figure 15 watts all tube will be plenty loud enough for jamming, right?

I looked at a Blues Jr, but it doesn't have the effects loop.

Other amps with the effects loop all seem to be 30 Watts, which I fear will lead to a divorce :roll:

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You don't need an effects loop to use your GT-6 or any effect for that matter.
The normal chain is guitar -> Gt-6 -> amp.
If you have individual pedals, you would put the distortion, etc., before the amp and spacial effects (delay, flanger, chorus, etc.) into the effects loop.

The loop allows effects to be added after the pre-amp stage and before the power amp stage. Not all effects sound their best, here, particularly some boosters and distortion effects.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

THanks - that's what I do now with my little 25 watt Solid State amp, but I've been told to get an effects loop for a tube amp to get the most out of the amp's tone.

If I don't really need the effects loop, I may just look for a Fender Blues jr, or something.

Any other thoughts out there?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

THanks - that's what I do now with my little 25 watt Solid State amp, but I've been told to get an effects loop for a tube amp to get the most out of the amp's tone.

If I don't really need the effects loop, I may just look for a Fender Blues jr, or something.

Any other thoughts out there?

I've played one and almost bought it, but I really *don't need* another amp with 5 ranging in power from 10 to 120 watts already arrayed behind me.

Which one sees the most use? The 15-watt Vox VR15 hybrid. It's light, it's compact, it's made a full Marshall MG100HDFX stack sound pitifully anemic. :twisted:

A 15 to 30 watt tube amp is going to be better in most club or private party type gigs. The lower power means you can can crank the amp up enough to get the power tubes in the sweet spot and get all the goodness that entails.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote