Clear all

Trouble with my sound

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez GAX70 which I play through a Spider II 15 watt amp from Line 6, and I've never really been happy with the sound I get out of it. Clean tone is excellent, but everything else sounds terrible to me. The sound samples on this page sound great, but even the presets don't really sound like that for me. Can I have some advice on getting a good Van Halen-esque sound similar to crunch varient 2? Also, I play mostly Rush, and I'd appreciate some tone suggestions for getting close to their early stuff, like 2112. I've tried some of their recommended settings, but with no luck.

I have no money at the moment so getting an effects pedal, new guitar or new amp is out of the question unfortunately.

Thanks

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

How I come up with different pre-sets, I have tone in mind and think what do I need to adjust to achieve that tone. Speaking for myself I've spent enough time behind a guitar to visualize what needs to adjusted or added to the signal chain for the tone I'm looking for. Spending time making small , very small adjustments to the equipment until the desired sound comes shining through. My latest signal chain is a combination of equipment that took me months of trying different connection possibilities to achieve the tone I get now.

Besides being the equipment used the playing, it really comes from within you. It really doesn't matter what equipment I'm using at the time I still sound and play like me. Sure I can duplicate or imitate any song I hear but under that you'll still hear me and my original style. Sorry I couldn't give you the magic pre-set setting that would rock you off into uncharted territories. Keep adjusting and experimenting with the equipment you have then one day everything will fall into place and it will sound so great you won't want to put your guitar down.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Buying a modeler and EQ would help give you more to work with.

Both can be had for around $50 each. A fish n chips EQ and a Digitech RP50 modeler. Watch ebay for used units to save some bucks. Something to think about.

I just traded up from an RP80 to a Vox Tonelab which does a whole lot more and I can tell you it takes some experience to get a lot out of it. So far I have only 2 or 3 tones programmed that I like, not a whole lot for the money I spent on it.

Your sound chain will take time to evolve, just like our playing will evolve. Give it time.

Find a tone that you like with what you have for now.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I've played around with those spider amps, and really hated the sound, but you can still get a decent sound from them.

Ok, starting off with the guitar, I don't recomend using the bridge pickup, as these can often sound to thin and scratchy when your trying to get a good sound from the amp. Try turning the volume down to about 3/4, which gives you a bit more control at the guitar end, and can take some of the sratchiness off.

Then, turn off all of the inbuilt effects on the amp, then set the EQ (Bass middle and treble) to midway. Now, try out the various distortion types (I think those amps have got "Clean", "Tweed", "Crunch", "Blues", "Metal" and "Insane" or something like that) I recomend using a crunch settng, and turning the gain up if you want more distortion, rather than using one of the really distorted sounds.

Then, adjust the Eq. The Mid control is the most important. Generally, this shapes the tone more than the others. If you want to play lead, try turning the mid up, which gives it a bit more punch, and cuts through a band better if you play in one.
If you're playing rhythm, ease off the middle, which gives it a more open sound. I think the Spider sounds a bit sharp and harsh, so try turning the treble down a bit. With the bass, make sure that you don't turn it up so high that it muddles up the sound.

The classic metal tone is to turn the mid almost right down, and turn the bass and treble almost all the way up. Classic bluesy tone is to boost the mids a lot. Try working around thm a bit.

I hope that helps a bit, I'm not expert, but hopefully that will be useful.

I know pedals and modellers seem to be a simple solution to a good tone, but they're often not. The best tones come from just guitar and amp, so don't worry about not having money for those things, just make the best of what you've got, and you'll sound better than a lot of people who ruin a good tone with too many effetcs!
I would recommend an EQ pedal when you have the money, these things give you much more control over your sound.

It would be worth looking at a new amp eventually, if you can afford it go for a small tube amp, and I promise you wont regret it.

regards

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to give that a try, Thanks!
It would be worth looking at a new amp eventually, if you can afford it go for a small tube amp, and I promise you wont regret it.

regards

Peter

That's the plan eventually. And a new guitar. :D

Thanks for the help everyone.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

The thing with the spider is that no matter what you do, you're still playing thru a 4"-8" speaker. I think the only way to get the sound that you hear on the site is when you use it as a direct input to a recording setup, whether it be computer based or on a portable multitrack unit.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote