Clear all

Troubleshooting a Dead SS Amp

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My solid state Fender Rumble bass amp is dead. Won't power up at all.

It gave no prior warning, other than a subtle pop when I first turned it on; then it flatlined.

I have verified that the outlets work.

I have swapped the amp's power cable, but no luck with that either.

Anything else obvious I should try? If not, I'll see if I can get it serviced under warranty ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Do those have fuses? Having never played with one I have absolutely no idea. If you have a warranty it's best to let them look at it. If you can't get it fixed under warranty, open her up and see if something on the circuit board is obviously wrong.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Did you smell anything burning when the amp died or can you smell it now?

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No fuses as far as I can tell.

No burning smells.

Pretty sure there were no power surges or anything like that, as the alarm on my computer's UPS would have been triggered.

It's frustrating!

Thanks for the ideas; anything else please let me know.

Gonna dig up the warranty card and see what's involved ...

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ewwwwe ... don't tell me that. My son has that amp. It does have a 5 year warranty though doesn't it? We wouldn't have to dig up a card though cause our local store takes care of that for you. They take care of what they sell. They register the stuff when you buy it and they know what they sold. Which amp do you have sledge? My son's is the 100 watt with the 15. Good luck. I bet there is a fuse somewhere just not "user servicable" is all.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ewwwwe ... don't tell me that. My son has that amp. It does have a 5 year warranty though doesn't it? We wouldn't have to dig up a card though cause our local store takes care of that for you. They take care of what they sell. They register the stuff when you buy it and they know what they sold. Which amp do you have sledge? My son's is the 100 watt with the 15. Good luck. I bet there is a fuse somewhere just not "user servicable" is all.

Mine is the 60 watter with the 12"; plenty juice for home practice (I have an Eden 2x10 combo that I leave at church for praise band.)

Yeah, 5-year warranty - I found it and the GC receipt. The problem is I think the nearest authorized service center is almost an hour's drive from here ... I should have bought at your store; lol. Actually GC is good about getting copies of old receipts, but they don't do the service.

I'll let you know what happens, in case something similar happens to your son's.

Hmmm ... there's a nice Peavey TNT 15-incher on my local craigslist ... hmmm ... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Mine is the 60 watter with the 12"; plenty juice for home practice (I have an Eden 2x10 combo that I leave at church for praise band.)

Yeah, 5-year warranty - I found it and the GC receipt. The problem is I think the nearest authorized service center is almost an hour's drive from here ... I should have bought at your store; lol. Actually GC is good about getting copies of old receipts, but they don't do the service.

I'll let you know what happens, in case something similar happens to your son's.

Hmmm ... there's a nice Peavey TNT 15-incher on my local craigslist ... hmmm ... :wink:

If you're going to be in Richmond "window shopping" you should swing by Richmond Music Center on Midlothian Turnpike. They handle used and consignment items as well as new stuff, and you can sometimes find a really nice deal on a used amp.

Ask for Dave Thomas. Tell him Doug J. sent ya.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for the tip Moonrider, though Richmond's a bit far for me. I do get down there once in a while, so I'll check 'em out next time.

I found out there's a Fender-authorized amp tech who works out of the GC in Rockville MD, and since I work in MD that's much more convenient than any of the authorized shops in VA. I spoke with them yesterday and they said it's okay to have the work done there, even though I bought it at a different GC.

I hoped that the amp would suddenly start working again, like when you take your car in for a service problem and you can't replicate the problem for the mechanic ... but it was still dead last night. So I'll drop it off at the GC later in the week.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Finally got it back yesterday; took three weeks but it's good as new and the repair was covered under the warranty.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."