Clear all

Trying To Find A Certain Overdrive

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thebandsite1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. I have been looking lately for a new overdrive effect for my Gibson Standard and Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Watt Head. My overdrive from the amp is already awesome, but I'm looking for a different overdrive sound for it. Anyone know who Tim Mahoney from 311 is? I am looking for a similiar overdrive as his. I already have the Boss OC-2 Octave Pedal to beef up my single note distortion as he does, but his overdrive has alot more musical "buzz" to it than mine. Some of the songs specifically he uses it on are "Mindspin" "Sweet" "Tribute" and "Transistor" I am not trying to sound exactly like him at all, but he is just a big inspiration to me and I love the sound of his single note riffs. If anyone knows this kind of overdrive sound I'm talking about, do you have any ideas what pedals might help me achieve this sound? It is basically a really thick, fat, and crunchy/buzzy high gain overdrive sound. Don't worry about price or anything.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I found a nice interview of Tim Mahoney where he talks quite a bit about his gear.

Tim Mahoney

I'm sure you will enjoy the interview no matter what. Hope this helps. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member

hi mate,

i use a dean phantom ml through an ibanez stomp box,an that sounds close,it also has a built in noise gate.it eats batterys alive so you need the power supply[seperate]but i picked both up for £70.bargain!have you thought of gettin an equaliser like the boss ge7?you can mutilate your sound almost indefinatly and pinpoint wht is causin your unhappiness,then boost the offending frequency/s

all the best

dimebag :twisted:

"forever stronger than all"

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One thing, that I tend to forget, is to remove the jacks from the pedals when I'm finished (on many pedals, the input jack socket switches the pedal on, when a jack plug is inserted and off when it's removed) - I've had more than a few flat batteries from that stupidity, luckily I use rechargeables, so it's more annoyance than cost.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I've had more than a few flat batteries from that stupidity, luckily I use rechargeables, so it's more annoyance than cost.

I need to find 9V rechargables .. haven't really looked around for them, do they exist? (My equalizer uses 9V, my MFX uses AA batteries, I got rechargables for that. )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you might be looking for a Tubescreamer. there are two kinds out there. the reissue and the Turbo. Ive had both, but settled for the turbo. it's cool as it has four settings for varying overdrive.
then , when that wasnt enough I had Analogman mod it.
at first he modded it with the understanding that I wanted the more modern 'brown sound'.
not true. sent it back and he remodded it to give me a more looser overdrive. he called it flabby. I call it loose warm tube overdrive.

his first mod sounds exactly what you want.
he's great to deal with.
there are many goodies on his web site.
http://www.analogman.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I need to find 9V rechargables .. haven't really looked around for them, do they exist?

Yes, they certainly do, I've got plenty for my needs.
There's a German company, that's spreading all over the US called ALDI. This company (in Europe anyway) has special offers every week, which are very good quality and very reasonably priced. I recently bought some 9V NiMH block rechargeables for €1.99 each (ca. $2.40). They had 4 x AA or 4 x AAA for the same price.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Yes, they certainly do, I've got plenty for my needs.
There's a German company, that's spreading all over the US called ALDI. This company (in Europe anyway) has special offers every week, which are very good quality and very reasonably priced. I recently bought some 9V NiMH block rechargeables for €1.99 each (ca. $2.40). They had 4 x AA or 4 x AAA for the same price.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for them.. (I bought 4xAA for close to $8, I think. )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote