Notifications
Clear all

Tube Amp Questions

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

"They tapped on the wall. Which is amazing when you consider my house isn't attached to any other house. Tapping outside on a brick wall..........."

In these parts they generally refer to that as trespassing... :?

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I ended up with a Randall RG50. It was a LOT more expensive than what I was expecting but it's awesome. Not bad clean but the overdrive channel is where it shines. Plus it has two overdrive channels. It came with a footswitch too.

I hope it's loud enough for playing in bands and stuff. Loud enough to drive the neighbours crazy though. They tapped on the wall. Which is amazing when you consider my house isn't attached to any other house. Tapping outside on a brick wall...........

you are doing well when neighbors complaim. haha.

your amp sounds nice. looks like there is room to grow in it.

Ive been thinking lately of splitting my signal into two amps.one clean and one dirty.
it's been done alot.
over the weekend at aa rehearsal for a last minute gig my mate ran a tele thinline into an opverdrive on his SS Fender.
my battery on my tubescreamer died all of a sudden. so I kicked in my compressor and played clean. the mix of the two guitars was amazing. his dirty guitar sounded better because I had some clear sparkle behind it.
very interesting dynamic.
sorry for the divergence.

so OneWing are you playing that Explorer?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Dogbite: check the Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive pedal, it allows you to mix the clean with the overdriven signal. Works great for keeping note definition while keeping the drive up.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks dogbite.

I'm still playing my Explorer. I have my LP in standard and my Explorer in Drop C. My explorer sounds bassier through it, not just because it's down tuned either.

I doubt I'll bother with a strat now. I'm looking at Hamer guitars, or Fender reissued their Mustang too.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I think I'm looking for the opposite of what you are looking for. Though I'm not 100% what the difference between modern and classic is, other than modern seems to be heavier.

I'm looking for something more like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_8bk_t5Rs

Think I asked what amps would do that, I'll search for the thread.

When you can't crank up the amp (like me in an apartment) I have the DOD FX86 Death Metal Distortion Pedal (Digitech makes the same basic pedal). Also you'll need an EQ pedal and set it to the classic "scooped" setting (set the levers in a "U" shape). I use the same setting with my DOD Gruge Pedal as well. With some tweaking you'll get that Disturbed sound easily! At least you'll have an alternative to ticking off your neighbors!
The problem with super high gain amps like the Peavey 5150 is that they are usually only good for Metal type distortion. They usually (not always) have pretty lousy clean sounds.

Didn't Eddie Van Halen use the 5150 on the album of the same name? If so he got an AWESOME clean on songs like "Finish What Ya Started"!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Someone once told me that what you can do to reduce the neighbours bugging you is cut up some mouse pads and sit the amp on them. Apparently, it reduces the amount of bass going through the walls. Not sure if it works, but it something I'm gonna try when I get my own apartment.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Someone once told me that what you can do to reduce the neighbours bugging you is cut up some mouse pads and sit the amp on them. Apparently, it reduces the amount of bass going through the walls. Not sure if it works, but it something I'm gonna try when I get my own apartment.

That's a good tip...I am sure any type od foam would work. I have my amp on the top shelf of my desk off the floor so at least the bass isn't thumping.

Thanks OWA!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or just set it on top of a handy cardboard box.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It'll reduce vibration through the floor (although not by very much, I suspect), but not through the walls, which is usually caused by output from the speakers. I have a pump, which stands on 1" of insulating felt and the vibration is not damped as much as I would like.
Vibration through the floor can be a real nuisance even from low levels of sound, especially in wooden floored buildings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Vibration through the floor can be a real nuisance even from low levels of sound, especially in wooden floored buildings.

That's the problem I have which is why my amp is up off the floor. I don't have any neighbors next to me so the walls aren't as musch of an issue. However I am sure that my amp vibrates my desk and that transfers to the floor. I believe I feel a DIY solution coming on! :idea:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2