Clear all

Tube suggestion

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@stock28)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just wanted to post a suggestion for those using a tube amp and thinking about or needing a retube. I currently have a Marshall TSL 602. One of my power tubes went bad and I took it to the tech for a retube and bias. He suggested I use JJ tubes in the pre amp and power sections. He was nice enough to put in a set and let me play through it for a few minutes to hear the tone of them. All I can say is What a Difference. The amp came to life! I should tell you that the tubes in it were still factory and were stamped with the Marshall name. Who knows what they actually were as Marshall does not make tubes. The clearity of each note, even when playing chords, really shines through. The overdrive is creamy and fluid, and again each note is defined. I would highly recommend you give them a try if your looking at new tubes.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Tube amps have always been the amplifier of choice for the working musician. While the results may not be entirely magic, tubes do have a sound that is different from solid state amplifiers, The real reason I use tube amps is simply that they sound better. For that advantage, I put up with the poor supply of parts, high prices, fragility and excess heat that they produce.

Yes, I have to agree with you regular maintenance and do some research on tube amps. then you'll have a better understanding of what is and what isn't. Such as "Bias"in this context refers to the amount of voltage held on the grids of the output power tubes. This controls the amount of current the output tube(s) conduct exclusive of the signal current, or, looking at it another way, the amount of overlap where both tubes are conducting simultaneously. This is just one thing of the many that should be learned if you want to know more about your tube amp.

And Yes again, on the changing tubes , whether it be the same or something to give you an edge over the competition. Tubes wear out by sheer hours of being turned on, by how hard they're worked, and how hot they get from just the heat. Your ears tell you when to replace them. When they no longer sound quite as much punch or sound as sweet as they used to, start thinking about changing them.

SAFETY WARNING

Working inside a tube amplifier can be dangerous if you don't know the basic safety practices for this kind of work. If you aren't prepared to take the time to learn and apply the right precautions to keep yourself safe, don't work on your own amp. You can seriously injure yourself or get yourself killed. The working voltages are very high.

Here's a site to get you started. Tube amp safety!

Hope this Helps

Joe

ReplyQuote