Notifications
Clear all

tubes, glorious tubes

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

Then you'll just create confusion. Making up a new meaning for a term that's been in standard usage for 80 years isn't a good thing. This is analogous to the discussion going on in the Music Theory forum about guitarists inventing terms like "Sus2 chord" that aren't recognized by other musicians. It looks ignorant, and is. Just because tube electronic gear has passed its heyday and now has been rediscovered by niche groups of users unacquainted with the long established canon of literature on this very mature, 100 year old technology doesn't mean that we should ignore it and try to reinvent the wheel. Anyone picking up a tube era electronic textbook or even a tube manual will quickly discover that "fixed bias" doesn't mean bias that isn't adjustable. Somebody using the term that way will just sound like someone who doesn't know much about tube circuits to others who are familiar with them. Somebody might be rather experienced and good at working on cars, but if he calls a carburetor "that gas mixer thing," he's not going to impress other mechanics as knowing what he's about.
:wink:
I'm NOT making up a new meaning for a term. I am avoiding using it. There IS a difference.

So your analogy doesn't apply.

No terminology I have used is improper, misapplied, or worthy of comparison to a phrase like “that gas mixer thing”.

Impressing other technicians is not on MY list of priorities. However, even if it were, I doubt I would be using a phrase like “Adjustable fixed bias” to impress them, or anyone else for that matter.

I can have, and have had, conversations with experienced technicians as well as the uninitiated. I have been capable of doing so, in a manner that is both technically correct, AND does not require the less educated to go running for a tube manual, or textbook that they may or may not have.

There ARE, almost always, options in the choices of existing terminology that can be used. The fact that I choose to avoid one that has the appearance of being oxymoronic to the uninitiated is my prerogative. If it's not the choice you would make, get over it.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fine. Avoid it, then. As for "getting over it," if you look back, I originally cited you as a good example of proper terminology usage because you had properly explained cathode bias. I was in no way correcting you, but explaining the meaning of the term to the original questioner who'd used "fixed bias" in the sense of nonadjustability. You seem to have somehow felt singled out, why I'm not sure, and took up the argument that you wouldn't use the term "fixed bias" except where it meant you couldn't adjust it. (Which is improper.) And that I couldn't make you, with which I agree. So, fine. Get over it.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And I want to apologize today for my snippy tone yesterday. I really don't want to fight over some silly terminology. I wish I hadn't brought it up. Peace, Toobmasta.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Eh...

Anyways, I was thinking Ei Elite Gold pins instead of JJ's. Any thoughts?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Duffmaster,

I had my VJ Special for about a year now too, but I retubed almost immediately. I got my tube recommendation from Bob at Eurotubes and would highly recommend him for both service and price. Here's what he recommended at the time and what I am currently running:

a single JJ EL84 in a grade #35 and a matched triode ECC83S that is between 110 to 115 in gain for the V1 tube and a standard ECC83S for the V2 preamp tube. This makes them grind real good when you crank them but also has a good clean.

I love the way the amp sounds, but since I retubed so quickly I can't compare to the stock tubes. Just wish I could lose a bit of the hum.

Hope this helps,

Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2