Clear all

Wah-Wah pedals

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wah-wah_junkie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I believe that the Wah Wah pedal is the greatest guitar effect in the world.

Does anyone agree? and if not what is your favourite?

"We are all very lucky to live in a
world where there is this much music"

John Frusciante

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

They're certainly usefull.

But an effect is only so as good as the person playing it.

Put Jeff Beck on stage with nothing and me on stage with every effect made and I'd be willing to bet that he'd still sound better than me.

In terms of pure utility, a wah gets a lot of use. But so does delay, chorus, and a volume pedal.

It certainly would be in my list of "pedals you should own" but it's not the only thing in the list

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Wah is good, and I use it a bit. I'd say my fav effect, (besides distortion!), is my Chorus. I use it on just about everything I play.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What well-known songs use a wah pedal?

(Sorry for the dumb question, but I really don't know! :oops: )

Okay, I did see Jimmy Page using one in a video of Dazed & Confused, but I'm not too into classic rock ... is it mainly used in that style?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wah-wah_junkie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, classic rock seems to be the main era where the Wah was used widely, hendrix was a big wah user and a lot of other bands during the 60's. In fact you can buy classic Wah pedals which have a 60's sound.

"We are all very lucky to live in a
world where there is this much music"

John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Wah is a pretty cool effect, but I would rather have a good overdrive pedal like a tube screamer before i'd get a wah. I'm a bit confused though, what does the poll of Telecaster's vs. Strat's have to do with wah-wahs?

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I just prefer the versatility of a strat over a Tele. Ideally though I would want both and a three bucker Les Paul.

As far as effects are concerned, a compressor and a good eq would top my list. Wahs are a bit overused in my opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member

In my opinion, using wah makes you sound like anyone else using wah - you sound the same. Well, the most famous wah song has to be Voodoo Child I guess, though not the first famous (think that was Tales of Brave Ulysses by Cream).

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I did see Jimmy Page using one in a video of Dazed & Confused, but I'm not too into classic rock ... is it mainly used in that style?

I saw "Alter Bridge" in concert last night, and Mark Tremonti, (formerly of "Creed"), used a Wah-Wah quite a bit. Besides the cover of Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll", they don't play classic rock. 8) The Wah-Wah was made popular with classic rock guitarists, but you still find alot of players now a days using it quite tastefully. Here's Alter Bridge's music page from their web site: http://www.alterbridge.com/home.html
Check out the live vid of "Find The Real", my fav.

Oops!, Sorry, that link takes you to the home page, click on "Music" under Mark's left foot. :)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'd have to say that besides distortion and maybe a talk box (even though they're expensive and apparently have alot of glitches), Wah-wah has to be my favorite pedal because they're so versatile: they're used in funk, pop rock and heavy metal. Also, the expression pedal of a non-auto wah gives complete control over the effect... so you can use it in the traditional way (tapping the pedal on the beat), as some sort of a filter for a different sound or using it in an expressive way (for example hitting a chord and then moving the pedal up and down creating a delay effect).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I also don't understand the relevance of the poll.

I love my wah pedal. One of the most famous Wah songs is Cream's White Room. As long as you don't over use the wah pedal, it can be great to add it in some songs.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Other famous wah tunes:

Theme from Shaft (classic funk rhythm wah)
Ain't Superstitious Jeff Beck (from the album "Truth" ... I think)
Tell Me Something Good Chaka Khan & Rufus -- also has talk box

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i just got my morley bad horsie 2 wah, and i love it 8)

ReplyQuote