Clear all

wait.... I'm confused

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/487798/

Wont the 120 watt head blow out the 100 watt handling speakers?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You really can't take to much truth in advertising. how would you know without testing that the amp that it puts out 120 watts. I noticed they didn't say at what Ohm's. It may really only put out 60. Bigger numbers look more impressive.

It may put out 120 at 8 Ohm's , 60 at 16 Ohm's. Now if the speakers are rate at 100 watts at 16 Ohm's for each cabinet. Then you set the amp at 16 Ohm's and connect each box to a seperate speaker out. You'll have 60 watts at 16 Ohm's into a cabinet rated 100 watts at 16 Ohm's.. Advertisers will add the two outs and come up with 120 watts.

In the same token if the amp is set to 8 Ohm's and you plug one cabinet in the head and one cabinet into the other cabinet you'll have 120 watts at 8 Ohm's. Divided by both speakers it's still 60 watts in each cabinet. Anyway connecting 2 4x12 cabinets it will move some air and be loud.

I could be way off but it sounds right.

joe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

First of all, that 120w is devided up between 2 cabs, so each cab is only geting 60w. Plus, there are 8 indivual speakers total, so therefore, even at 120W, each speaker would only be getting 15w, which i'm sure that they could handle.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, xg5a has it.

Speakers of the same impedence split the watts evenly.

So when you see a 100 watt amp sitting on top of a 4 X 12 cabinet, each speaker is only getting 25 watts each (if they are all the same impedence)

Now, if the speakers are different ohms or impedence it might be different, but I don't know how to figure that out.

Now this is purely a guess, but if you had a cabinet with one 8 ohm speaker and the other was 16 ohms with a 100 head @ 4 ohms, then the 8 ohm speaker would (at least it seems to reason) draw twice the power of the 16 ohm speaker. So the 8 ohm would get 66.67 watts and the 16 ohm speaker 33.33 watts. But even that is not perfectly true because that would be a 6 ohm load (I believe. I can't remember the formula). :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

oh i see. Just looked kinda funny to me. That makes sense though thanks.

ReplyQuote