Skip to content
What's wrong with m...

Notifications
Clear all

What's wrong with my amp??? (Tube amps****)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@snowyevans)
Topic starter  

I have a Bugera 6262, it's got 4 6l6's and 6 12Ax7's. One of the tubes is burned out, I know it's burnt. The silver lining on the top is white, sort of what happens to a florescent light when it has a crack in it, and it is not glowing. It was always the less bright one out the glowing bunch and had no blue glow.

Well, yesterday I was going through a song with the band and it cut out and turned back on in a split second. I simply thought our singer stepped on my main pedal and switched over channels back to clean.

Today we played through our set and in the middle of a song it cut out but didn't turn back on. So I replaced the fuse (which was perfectly fine), and it turned back on. I played it some more and it cut out probably two more times, it stayed off for probably 2-4 seconds.

Thinking it might have been my Furman power conditioner, I switched it to a wall outlet and turned off all the other amps, lights, and all other electronics.

What could be happening?
There is still power and sound, but it just cuts out every minute or so.
There is no burning smell either.

Could it be the blown tube? Or the power transformer? Or the output transformer? Or the actual guts on the inside?
I need help from someone who knows about tube amps.

(@ibanezjunkie)
Eminent Member

i'd say replace your busted tube, it most likely will have something to do with it.

would it be one of your 6l6 tubes or one of your 12AX7s?

either way i recommend GrooveTubes.

replace the busted tube, and if it still cuts out, you know the problem is elsewhere.

once the tube is replaced, find the amp schematic, and follow the amp circuitry along with the schematic.

if you cant find any obvious problems after checking it against its schematic, take it down to a halfway decent amp tech and let them check it out for you

Fortune, Fame, Mirror, Vain, Gone Insane But The Memory Remains

ReplyQuote