0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That VJ is a loud little sucker.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

True .. true. As much as I love that little modeler the kids got me but, the other day I did plug into the Epi VJ half stack via my Bad Monkey overdrive pedal. I cranked it to 11 (or the non numbered single knob equivilent of it) and the distortion was heavenly! The sustain endless! The pain in my ears intolerable! :lol: Got me thinking about getting an attenuator. A small Weber attenuator cost nearly what that modeling amp did though. I bet in a club with a band the 5 non attenuated watts pegged would not be an issue. Oh well .. I got both anyhow and a few other amps to spare so I'm good.

My Weber Mini Mass lives on top of my VJ, and stays there in the clubs too. I may bypass the attenuator, but usually I still need a touch to keep things balanced.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The Mini Mass is the one I would be interested in. One of these days (When I'm not trying to save up to visit the grand kids like I am right now) I might get one.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@samer)
Eminent Member

aw man, it seems like I got a lot to learn lol. I was reading through some online articles, and it seems like 15-30 watts were only good for the bedroom practices. Would they really be loud enough to perform with a band in like an medium sized auditorium?

If you're in a medium sized auditorium ( to me that's one that seats 750 to 1000 people ), you're going to be miking everything through the PA anyway. Last time I did a venue that size, the FOH engineer looked at my 15 watt Blues Jr. and grinned. She KNEW I was going to easy to work with. Smaller amps are even more critical if you're part of a pit orchestra or band.

In all except the very smallest clubs, you should be letting the PA do the "heavy lifting." Think of your amp as the stage monitor for your guitar.

What happens if the venue / bar doesn't have a PA or mic for your guitar; a few bars i have played at provide only a mic for vocals and expect you to do the rest (i know it sucks)

My rule of thumb is always have more power than less, especially if you are going to be playing with a drummer; 50 watts should be minimum and 100 is nice to have some extra head room.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A drummer who can't be heard over without at least a 50 watt tube amp needs to be replaced. He's like a Toyota with the throttle jammed open.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

What happens if the venue / bar doesn't have a PA or mic for your guitar; a few bars i have played at provide only a mic for vocals and expect you to do the rest (i know it sucks)

The band or artist should have their own PA in this case. I always call and ask if PA is available.

You can get a package deal on a decent powered mixer with enough grunt to be painfully loud in a small bar, and two pole mount speakers for a price that's amazingly reasonable nowadays.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'll say that the PA thing depends on location- Bars virtually NEVER provide PAs in Latin America, or if they do, they charge you for it. (Usually 75% of whatever they're paying you.)

An amp that can gig a small house by itself has some advantages...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'll say that the PA thing depends on location- Bars virtually NEVER provide PAs in Latin America, or if they do, they charge you for it. (Usually 75% of whatever they're paying you.)

An amp that can gig a small house by itself has some advantages...

Best,
Ande
DANG!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Most bars where there are bands around here (CT) don't have PA's either you have to bring your own. There are a couple that do have in-house PA's but not many and I haven't heard of them charging for the use of them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think there is one club here in the middle of nowhere that has one but it certainly is not the norm. It is BYOPA here. :lol: The place that has one was opened for the purpose of having bands. They have a stage and dressing room too. Most places here just push the pool table into the corner to make room.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My "portable" keyboard amp should do the trick. The plan is to be able take it, my boss GT-10 and a mic & stand. Only need to get mic and stand. Assuming I'll need a back up. The GT-10 sounds really nice coming out of that Behringer K3000FX keyboard amp/PA.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2