Clear all

Wireless guitar system: output says Unbalanced High Z

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Shure wireless guitar system I bought this week. On the back of the reciever unit it has a 1/4" output that goes to the amp. I've used a regular guitar cable to run from that output to my amp. Yet it says on the back of the reciever unit "unbalanced high Z." Do I need to buy a special cable to run that to my amp? I have a gig in 3 nights and hope to use the wireless so I'm trying to get some answers quickly.

Recently I got a mic cable that's a high Z. Don't know what that means. Anyway, if any of you gurus know if a regular guitar cable will work properly let me know. Or even if I need to get a different cable. I find it strange though because my amp needs to have a guitar cable to it. Any help is totall appreciated! :?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use a 1/4-inch to 1/4-inch Tip & Sleeve.... Unshielded cable.

The type you would use to connect a racked processor to the efffects send and returns on a mixer.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Joe, I'm a bit dense in the whole cable thing. Could you get a link to say Guitar Center or Sam Ash online? I could pick up one tomorrow if necessary. The guitar cable I used a few nights back worked (TRS I guess) but if that has any negative points, I'm all for buying the cable you suggest.

I'm running out of time in that the gig is Friday night. I only have tomorrow after work to get what I need. Otherwise I may go wired for this gig. Gonna try practice with the other band tomorrow night wireless with a guitar cable from the wireless transmitter to the amp. Hope things don't blow up.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member

I looked it up on wikipedia and this is what I found:

The term tip ring sleeve is more common in some English-speaking countries than others. Outside of the USA the term stereo jack plug is probably more common

Here is a link if you want. A picture/pictures are provided. I don't know why you would want it unshielded though so you may want to wait until he responds again. I'm bolding this disclaimer so you see it and don't skip over it which could lead you wanting my head for getting a cable that doesn't work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector#Tip_Ring_Sleeve

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Z is impedance, and that label just means that the output is high impedance rather than requiring a high impedance cable. I don't know if your amp has one or two inputs, some have a 'hi' and 'lo' impedance inputs, others just have the one input (which is high, but unlablelled).

It makes sense that wirelesses be setup to be identical output to a guitar too, as using a wireless should be completely identical settings-wise to using a cable, for the odd occasion when it goes wrong halfway through a gig and you have to swap back to a cable. The amp should see no difference in signal at all whichever you're using, or else there's a wireless designer out there in need of a dose in common sense :)

Long story short, do as you've been doing, no probs. Guitar cable from the wireless output to the amp input (or 'hi' input if you have a choice).

Good luck for the gig, too :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you go to a music store and ask them for either 1/4" Mono unshielded unbalanced Patch Cables or 1/4" unshielded balanced patch cables. The TS cables are unbalanced and the TRS are balanced.

You'll need to check to see if you need balanced or unbalanced cables.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I used the wireless at band practice and heard some radio songs (really soft) near my amp. Don't know what it was but didn't hear it when we were playing. Also, I did not initialize/sync the transmitter to the receiver so I'll do that before the show tonight.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your receiver is tuned to a frequency close to a commercial radio station. You need to sort out the frequencies (by syncing, probably), so that the station is not heard any more.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For our gig last Friday I used a guitar cable in that I was too rushed to go out and get any other cable. My amp has two inputs. One is like 6db higher than #2. I always use #1.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You may have to experiment to find the right gain setting from the wireless to the amp. I know mine puts out lots of gain so I have to make sure it hasn't got moved during transport.

One time I had a little go around with some the hand held radio's the stage crew where using. Their voice's weren't coming out of the speakers but it sure created a stressfull time trying to figure out what was causing my equipment to squeal and act up.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Joe, that's not cool when stuff like that happens. :shock: I'd freak.

CAS, yeah, I'd assume wireless manufacturers would consider that fact (if the wireless messed up you would just unplug from the receiver and put that cable in the guitar so you continue the gig. I may actually call Shure next week. They're about 20 miles from where I live.

For fun, I just modified my rack for the wireless & power conditioner. I put the wireless on the top of the rack and cut out a little of the top of the case so the antennas can pop out! I think it's pretty cool because now I can store that long 10' power conditioner cable in the unused 1 rack space all the way at the bottom. Thank the Lord for jigsaws and Dremel tools!

Now I have to go out to my garage and put all the tools away...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Generally everything like that is well thought out. It was pretty frustrating. Sure was glad to realize before hand and not while performing. Mine is a 1u unit which I have it mounted on the back side of the rack. I have the power conditioner at the top in the front. The Anvil ForgeII case is deep enough to allow them to be mounted this way. Works great.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Sorry I'm late on this. An unbalanced high Z cable is just a normal guitar cord or TS (tip, sleeve)

Unbalanced High Z Cable

A balanced or low Z cable is a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve)

Balanced Low Z Cable

Notice the different tips of each jack.

Here is a page that describes both in detail.

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/TTHandbook/sound/bal-unbal.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote