Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Em-150 with some problems

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hugsar)
Topic starter  

Today at a garage sale i picked up a Yamaha EM-150, took it home, and played around with it for a while. While goofing around with the master volume knob, i found that it had a wierd oscillating thing going on at a certain point on the knob. I left it there for a few seconds then the sound stopped. The sound meter dropped. Now NOTHING will come out of it, whether it be from the headphones, the speaker, or the monitor out. Could i have burned something out in it? I'm kinda worried as this wasn't too cheap (At least not for me at $60), and I'd like to get it fixed. ...also, before it broke, it had a lot of white noise constantly and i couldn't get the right channel to work. anybody know what'd be wrong?

Thanks a TON in advance for all your responses!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I hope you don't think you did something wrong, that was already broken, that's why they sold it to you.

Take it back and demand your money back. Or, you could take it to be serviced if the price is reasonable. But you will have no idea until a tech looks at it, they will usually charge you at least $70 just to look at it. Who knows what repairs it might need and the cost?

I would take it right back and demand my money back.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well first of all, check the obvious things:

- Is it plugged in? (I really hope you checked this :D )
- Check the patch cables
- Move around the knobs on your guitar and amplifier

Still nothing?

Does the power turn on and there is just no sound or is there no power going to the amp? If there is no power then you'll probably need a new power supply.

Did you hear or smell anything when the device broke? Alot of times when electronics burn out they will have a VERY noticeable smell, as well, when capacitors blow up they are quite loud.

While I was writing this I just noticed that the Yamaha EM-150 is a mixer, unless I'm mistaken, which might be a little different to troubleshoot rather than an amplifier.

If all else fails you COULD send it to a repair tech but it may not be very cheap.

Wes makes a good point however, I would take it back if I could.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote