Skip to content
yet another thread ...

Notifications
Clear all

yet another thread seeking amp advice........

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

....sorry...BUT.

I'm thinking about getting a new amp this month. I've been jamming with some friends, and realize how crappy my little Fender Frontman sounds. Besides, it stopped working and is being replaced under warranty. When I get the replacement, I am thinking about selling it on ebay, and use my secret stash for the rest.....

I'm looking to spend $500-$600 or so and would really like a small tube amp (30 watts or so) that can crank it up when playing with others, but can still serve as a practice amp (and pass the angry wife 'turn that crap down' test :oops: )

I play mostly rock - some classic, some modern - I usually play thru a GT-6, so I dont need built in effects. (for example - we play everything from STP to Velvet Revolver, Hagar, and 38 special). I play both a strat and ibanez artist. I'm a little gun-shy about buying a used on sight-unseen,so I am looking for a new one.

I've looked at some Peavey's - the classic 30/112, but haven't played one yet.

Any thoughts?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

B-52 AT series should be right up your ally.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The Classic 30 is a great amp used by thousands of gigging guitarists. It has an excellent clean channel (run your GT-6 into that) and a great overdrive channel as well.

I have heard these amps many times, but have never personally played one, I can't tell you how good it works as a practice amp. But you can pick up an attenuator that would allow you to crank the amp but keep volume very low.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A 30W tube amp is NOT a small amp! It won't pass the wife's "Turn that crap down!" test, unless you like to play turned way down anyway. It's loud enough to gig out anywhere. When you graduate to stadiums, you can mic it.

While you're looking at the Classic 30, look at the Delta Blues. It's very nearly the same amp. I love the sound of the single 15" model. There's a 2 X 10" model also, that some prefer.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote