Notifications
Clear all

a re-beginner here, hi all.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@onkeltuka)
Topic starter

I´m just about to turn 37 in a couple of weeks. I realized it´s almost 15 years since I sold all my guitar gear, and haven´t played since. I had a beautiful Les Paul Standard and a burgundy SG, don´t ever sell your guitars , it´s really stupid and you will regret it. Anyways, back then, I played for something like 12 or 13 years, was in quite a few bands, played some gigs,etc. I remember feeling, at times, that hell, "I really can play some."

But it´s strange how skills fade in 15 years. A friend left his acoustic Martin at my place recently, and I noticed that my fingers didn´t remember what they were supposed to do anymore. But I did like the feeling the sound of this very nice guitar gave me. So I started thinking maybe it´s not too late to learn this stuff again? But this time I would do it for myself, back in the days it was always with the thought of "making it" (as I guess every young guitarist does). I even ordered "the modern method for guitar"- books, as I used to study them back then.

My first problem is that having kids and a mortgage and all that, I really don´t see how I could summon the money for buying a new guitar. I tried some cheaper acoustic ones, but when you have played quality instruments it really feels bad having to settle with an inferior instrument. I´ll probably loan some old guitar from this same friend of mine, to get some time to think about the funding for my own instrument.

Anyways, I thought that it would be a good idea to seek a community of guitarists, and this one seemed like the best one. I hope I´ll get to know you all.

Posted : 03/08/2013 1:45 pm
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member

Hi ! I am a re-beginner too. Except for the fact I have never emerged from beginner status.

Hope you have an instrument to play soon.

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:09 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN!

I was kinda in your boat, but in my case I never realy got any good at it when I was younger. I also restarted later then you...early 40's.. and Ill tell you its doable. It is tough with the normal life things. House, wife, and kids...full time jobs etc.. but its possible. I started out with a guitar I borrowed from my BIL, and saved up some coin for a few years and got a nice Epi LP. Once people start to know you play, you start to find things also. I was given a old epi acoustic, that a coworker had been tripping over for years.. then fell into some extra cash, and got my resonator.. So it can be done. Granted the chance of me having the money to buy a new Gibson, or Martin is pretty slim! but Im pretty content with what I have. If your life is like mine you will find time is the big issue. Just don't have those hours a day to play... some weeks its grabbing a 5 min brake here...and a 10 min brake there.. not conductive to learning fast... but its what you have. Having been a better player in the past, I bet you pick it back up quickly. Good luck!!!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 04/08/2013 10:37 am
(@onkeltuka)
Topic starter

Hi guys, and thanks.

You are right Paul about the time, there´s never enough. Just as you pick the guitar up and play a couple of chords, the kids start yelling that the football flew under the car or that the neighbpur´s cat is on the roof; it´s just ridiculous at times....

Posted : 06/08/2013 2:21 am
(@teeninchee)

It's never too late to start again! If you love an instrument, and knew how to play it once, that "bicycle thing" works. It's just a matter of
jumping in and seeing what your brain will remember. I had the experience with piano, especially after an traumatic head
injury in a MVA. Prayer and continued practicing -- sometimes I could only bear to sit there for 5 minutes. But over the course
of 3 years, it has returned.

So, you have timing problems -- practice time vs kids and their needs for time...even 15 minutes pays off. You just get it in
every opportunity you can. If you are lucky, your kids will want to join you and you will have a family band! That's
what is happening around my house. Violin, guitar, keyboard, clarinet, piano, trumpet.....and vocals.

Hang in there!

Posted : 30/09/2013 7:06 am
(@sgomez8g)

Welcome to GN I hope you learn a lot just like me

Posted : 25/03/2014 7:07 pm