Notifications
Clear all

Another 'hello' thread - sorry

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@staley)
Topic starter

Hi there. Stumbled across this place after Googling something like 'songwriting for beginners'. I read some hints and tips on a page that I clicked, then followed a link... only to end up here. So I joined :)

I'm 35 and I'm near Newcastle in the UK, I've been learning guitar for about three months along with my dad - it's a bonding thing - and we go to lessons every two weeks. I play an Earthfire Autumn Leaves acoustic (I doubt it's much good but I'm comfortable with it) and a Yamaha Pacifica 112 JMX electric with a 10w Marshall practise amp.
I'm still ploughing through my lessons and practice every day for about two or three hours on average, so I'm getting better. I'm just getting frustrated at the same time because I want to progress quicker and learn how to tie the things I'm learning together :roll:
My dad is getting there, but he's not as fast. He has big, fat, chubby fingers so he's struggling with dead chords although he does seem to have found a technique for barre chords in the last week or two. He'll get there :D

Anyway, that's enough from me for now. I'm off to have a look around the site.
Toodle pip.

:)

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:18 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the GN forums and good luck with your lessons.

That's great!!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:39 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Staley! :D

I have a Marshall amp, too. Keep practicing and you will improve every day.

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 16/07/2007 8:48 pm
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

Welcome to GN! Enjoy the wisdom these great folks share.

Wyle :)

Posted : 16/07/2007 9:52 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Why aye, man, welcome to GN! Just let me get this bottle opener round this yellow cap with the blue star and I'll have a drink in your honour!

Never heard of Earthfire guitars - tell me more. Got any pics?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/07/2007 10:02 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Staley! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 16/07/2007 10:26 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Staley. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 17/07/2007 3:48 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN from the other end of the country.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 17/07/2007 7:11 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome to the GN forum Staley. your dad is welcome to join too :)

Posted : 17/07/2007 8:14 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 19/07/2007 10:19 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

As the President and founding member of the big, fat, chubby fingers club, let me say welcome to GN. You dad should attend our monthly meetings and sign up for our BFCF newsletter. Its packed with the latest information for people with big, fat, chubby fingers. As you may know, long has been the war against the people with long, slim, slendor fingers. a.k.a..."the LSSF's". Join the cuase and rebel against the slender freaks!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 20/07/2007 2:28 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Staley! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/07/2007 9:20 pm