Notifications
Clear all

Aspiring modern-day grunger

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter

Hey everyone. I'm a beginning guitar player who's main thing is Grunge music. I'm wanting to write songs like my favorite band Bush, along with other bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. I'm trying to make a grunge band with some friends but am having trouble writing. I'm kinda having a creative block and am stuck on simple power chords. I already bought the Grunge pedal from digitech, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to create dark sounds similar to those on albums like Razorblade Suitcase, In Utero, and the greatest hits of Alice in Chains.

Posted : 05/05/2010 4:37 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/05/2010 1:08 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey Gavin! They are some of my Guitar Heroes too. I already have a Nirvana patch on my ZOOM G1, otherwise I would have tried harder to find it myself - I know it's on the net somewhere, and involves chorus, delay, special amp settings.

Other sites make specific reference to the Boss DS-1 from In Utero, and Boss Super Chorus. It almost sounds baritone, but actually I've played it in EADGBE? Also, my son taught me from his lessons, and he could replay any CD or LP himself by ear and it was all EADGBE, so I dunno, I'm no guitar hero, for sure. I haven't been playing it these days, we changed?

Anywhoo, this is what we played then, yes it just regular 6 string tuning, and man, was it that long ago already, 1991 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auTwQcuYzdk

Holy, that is some customized Jaguar! Ours was black, daughter's Jagstang, red, and my son's fave axe, above: 1974.

Boss distortion settings are in his Journals, you can see that for the In Utero Album he recorded with:

Bass-All the way
Mids-All the way
Treb-about 6(out of 10)

Here is some cool stuff, if you have a minute. You probably play it already, but it is very interesting in parts here, IMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7pXC8U1hJk&feature=fvw

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 09/05/2010 9:16 pm
(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter

Thanks a lot, Blue Jay! Sorry I took so long to reply, I haven't been able to get on in forever, but this is some really cool stuff!

Posted : 26/09/2010 9:09 pm