Notifications
Clear all

Back at it again

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@matt_e)
Topic starter

Hi, my name is Matt and I am finally playing again.

So let me explain that.....

I started playing guitar 13 years ago, in High School. I started out on a classical guitar, and moved up to a Squier Strat with a lil' practice amp.
Over the next few years after that, I also acquired a Washburn 12-string acoustic, an Ibanez Art Star Archtop, and a medium sized practice amp.
After getting married, having a kid or two, a full-time job, school, etc...I sold ALL the guitars and all gear and stopped playing.
:(

Just about a year ago, a friend gave me a Yamaha acoustic she wasn't using at all. I picked it up and started playing again - sparingly. (In Church, mostly)
A few months ago, I picked up a cheap Banjo - which I have since replaced with a Deering Good Time - and am loving it.
I committed to playing more guitar (with my father-in-law).
Last week I ended up buying a Jay Turser JT-142 Archtop (with Bigsby), and a practice Amp for a mere $300, and am in love again!
Found this website and have been playing at least two hours every night for a week now.
I am on fire about playing once again. So much so that I Have not even practiced Banjo for a week now. :lol:
My practice is more structured now, which seems to be beneficial. I am moving away from just looking up tabs and learning to play the lead-ins for some songs, and moving toward actually learning some theory, std. notation, and full songs.

Thanks for this great forum - it played a big part in the last few days in keeping me entertained and excited.

Posted : 06/03/2008 9:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That happened to me too, Matt - got married, had kids, sold guitars....with hindsight I'd have kept the guitars. Good to know that you're back playing, and more importantly, enjoying it - that's what it's all about!

Recidivism is a GOOD thing in the world of guitars.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/03/2008 11:35 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome back to the world of guitars :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 06/03/2008 11:36 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay! Good to hear you're back at it! :)

Posted : 07/03/2008 1:21 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Matt! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/03/2008 3:20 am
(@matt_e)
Topic starter

Thanks fellas.
I've been working hard at getting my fingertip plating back.

Posted : 10/03/2008 3:00 pm
(@espltdec50)

Well I haven't had kids or anything yet but I did stop playing for about a year. I suppose I wasn't getting anywhere with my skills and my gear didn't encourage me either. So one bored day recently I picked up my guitar, about a week later I fixed the problem that caused me to stop, and now I'm playing often again.

I'm starting to dive into theory and things to, more of the education of music. I think I may be about to drown, but this site sure is helping.

Congrats on playing again and good luck.

Posted : 10/03/2008 7:21 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 10/03/2008 10:00 pm
(@matt_e)
Topic starter

I am determined to read standard notation - again.
It's funny - when I first started out (guitar class in HS), we learned std notation and nothing else.
After that one year of classes, I started playing just by myself or in church, and those guys don't even use tabs (just lyrics and chord letters).
Never learned to play with a pick, either.
Getting to figure that out and be accurate.
So, I got a lot ahead of me.

And then I am learning Scruggs-Banjo on top of it all. I love it!

I want to pick up a fiddle. :mrgreen:

Posted : 12/03/2008 2:02 pm
(@matt_e)
Topic starter

All these finger gym exercises are starting to pay off.
I am getting much better with using my pinky and doing it quicker.

I've even gotten better at playing with a pick.

I am still waiting on my guitar book to come in, but I received my Banjo book yesterday and have been playing out of that.
Reading std notation ftw!

Posted : 25/03/2008 3:19 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

welcome back to the guitar Matt.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 25/03/2008 4:45 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 26/03/2008 4:07 pm