Belated HI!

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@landog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi All,

I've posted a few times on the other forums and just realized I haven't given a proper Hello!

My name is Steve and I live in WA State. I'm 41 and just took up the guitar in early December. So, I'm still a complete newbie.

I was very lucky in that I found an awesome guitar teacher right off the the bat.

I don't know what woke up inside of me, but I'm committed to finding out if I can play this thing called guitar. So far, I'm having a blast. Lots of practice, lots of hard work, but lots of fun too.

Here's a pic of my two guitars. The Acoustic is a 95 Washburn D27s I found used in a small guitar shop. The Electric is my Christmas present. It's a Washburn W114. My wife got it for me along with a Roland Cube 15 amp for Christmas.

Anyway, this is an awesome site and I know I'll learn lots here.

Cheers,
Landog

Posted : 21/01/2007 9:59 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome, Steve! Nice guitars, they should make learning a pleasure instead of a pain in the proverbials.....

"I don't know what woke up inside of me, but I'm committed to finding out if I can play this thing called guitar. So far, I'm having a blast. Lots of practice, lots of hard work, but lots of fun too."

Yep, plenty of hard work and practise, don't forget the fun....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/01/2007 10:19 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN, Landog! It's a great site and you're right, you can learn a lot here, not to mention have some fun.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 21/01/2007 10:21 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome Landog!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 21/01/2007 11:25 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Welcome Landog,

That acoustic is identical to my Washburn! If it's anything like mine (a D21 S) you got a good one.

See you around in the rooms!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 22/01/2007 4:23 am
(@landog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey, Thanks for the great welcome!

That acoustic is identical to my Washburn! If it's anything like mine (a D21 S) you got a good one.

I think I really got lucky. I was in a small mom/pop music store and I had decided I was going to buy a guitar. Mind you, I couldn't even form a chord, not one.

So, I'm in the shop looking at all these brand new guitars, plucking at the strings awkwardly, because I know absolutely nothing about guitars. Anyway, I notice that the tag on this one guitar says "Used."

I took it off the rack and it just felt right. I asked the lady working there about it and she was quick to point out that it was a great guitar, but it did have a few nicks and dings on it, and that I could get a brand new guitar (different model) for about the same price.

It was at that moment that it "hit me." You see, I just retired from the Air Force after 22 years and I've chosen not to try and get a job right away. I'm 41 and I'm changing everything in my life. So I, probably more than most, understand how that old guitar felt sitting next to all the brand new stuff in the store.

So I told the lady: "I'll take the used Washburn. I've got a few nicks and dings on me too."

The guitar plays beautifully. I finally broke down and changed the strings today (Ernie Ball Earthwood lites 11-52), and she feels and plays just fine.

I'll probably write a song about this someday, but for now, thanks for the warm welcome and letting me share.

Cheers,
Steve

Posted : 22/01/2007 4:45 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Steve, and a belated welcome to you! :D

Nice guitars. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/01/2007 11:54 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. They arent "nicks and dings" they are "Character enhancments" I love the dings in my acoustic. Not so much on my electric.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 22/01/2007 12:16 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi Landog, welcome.

I had a D22s and it was a great guitar. Great neck, easy action, beautiful tone. I went up a step to the D74 which is a great guitar too.

Good for you taking some time to figure things out. We all should.

I'm 45 and when my seven year old tells me when he grows up he wants to be a oceanographer/cartoonist/astronaut, I tell him that's tempting but I'm still planning to be an astronaut/firefighter/rockstar.

As soon as I grow up I'll let you all know how it turns out.

As Dennis C. used to have in his signature, "A man is only old when regrets take the place of his dreams."

So play well.

I think we have a number of Washingtonians on the board. Check out the Map when you have a chance. Jamming with others is a great way to learn fast.

Posted : 22/01/2007 12:34 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome from another 41 yr old newbie washburn owner :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 22/01/2007 2:18 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Landog! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

PS... I also own a Washburn :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/01/2007 5:39 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Landog.

See you round the boards.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 22/01/2007 8:10 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I took it off the rack and it just felt right. I asked the lady working there about it and she was quick to point out that it was a great guitar, but it did have a few nicks and dings on it, and that I could get a brand new guitar (different model) for about the same price.

Welcome Steve. That's exactly the way to do it. Not how new and shiny it is, but how it feels in your hands. Good luck.
Denny

Posted : 26/01/2007 2:51 am
(@landog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Wow,

Sure are a lot of Washburn oweners out there! Good to know.

Cheers,
Steve

Posted : 26/01/2007 3:42 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 26/01/2007 10:17 am
Page 1 / 2