Notifications
Clear all

Bought one, now to learn...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@daveallyn)
Topic starter

found an old epiphone at a garage sale. new strings, head had been busted off at one point and glued back on, but the neck was still all one piece, and they did an okay job with the glue. Figured for $20 (us$) it wasn't a bad deal, so went for it.

Now I need to learn to play, and I can tell already that this site is going to be great. Almost too much info. I've started looking through the beginner songs, and some of the beginner lessons. Everything seems to reference prior lessons. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?

Posted : 29/09/2009 4:59 am
(@alangreen)

Welcome to the party. This is probably the best place on the Internet to learn.

Obviously, it depends on what floats your boat, but anything by David Hodge is a great starting point; I've heard him teach absolute beginners at his house and he gets them playing from day one.

Looking at the lessons here, "Horse With No Name" is a great starting point for songs. "Theory Without Tears" gets you off on the right foot with understanding why some things work and some don't. "If Only I Had (Another) Brain" is a fun-filled how-to on singing and playing at the same time. "Well, I Woke up This Morning" will start you off on fingerstyle blues.

We're loaded up with private and school guitar teachers as well as those guitarists just starting out and all points in between, we have a music school owner on the forum membership, and any number of us play semi-pro.

Get stuck in and enjoy yourself.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 29/09/2009 8:42 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I agree, the lessons can make you think that you need to go to another lesson 1st so you don't miss something. Good advice Alan gave for starting points. Welcome to the ranks of guitarists! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/09/2009 10:18 am
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

http://www.squidoo.com/bestwaystolearnguitar

That's not a bad site to reference. It covers what a beginner should be learning in the first year or so of playing. By no means is it the Bible, but it will definitely point you in the right direction.

Find Guitar Teachers

Posted : 30/09/2009 11:30 am
(@daveallyn)
Topic starter

Thanks everyone! now to find time to practice... :)

Posted : 30/09/2009 1:42 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Dave! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/09/2009 2:43 pm