Notifications
Clear all

Come on feel the Illinoise

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mighty-windy-gurl)
Topic starter

Hey, there, Guitar Noise people. I live in Illinois. I've been hanging out reading stuff on this site for several weeks now, and I've been very impressed with the content. I'm 36 and just bought my acoustic guitar last July. I restrung it myself and proceeded to read about guitar and practice obsessively for about six weeks. Then, because I was dealing with some other life stuff, I put it down and literally didn't touch it until late February of this year, at which point I began to read and practice again. I've been taking lessons for several weeks. It's slow going, and at times I feel I'm making no progress whatsoever, but then there will be a moment when something will click, and that will motivate me to keep going. I'm trying to make up for lost time--for all of the years when I could have been playing but wasn't. This isn't my first guitar. I bought one from a friend when I was in my early 20s, but I never learned to so much as tune it properly, so it just sat unused. Part of the reason for that was that I was convinced I couldn't sing, so why bother trying to learn guitar if I couldn't sing along with it? That was my faulty reasoning, anyway. I'm still pretty self-conscious about my voice, but I've gotten to the point where I don't care as much. I like to sing, and I can only get better at it.
My musical tastes are very eclectic (anything from country to opera). I never met a style or genre of music I didn't get something out of, and I want to learn everything. My favorite music tends to be singer-songwriter, lyrically driven music. Except Mozart. Hands down, Mozart is the best composer who ever lived, and although I won't be playing or singing any operas anytime soon, it's probably my all-time favorite music. Other than that, Willie Nelson, Michelle Shocked, Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes, Badly Drawn Boy, Emmylou Harris, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Elvis Costello, Johnny Cash, Sufjan Stevens (hence the title of this post), Rufus Wainwright, Peter Gabriel, Randy Newman, Leonard Cohen are just a few of the artists I've been obsessed with, off and on, at some point in my life. I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, and will give myself a dope slap when I remember someone else. :D I also love the movie A Mighty Wind for its affectionate spoof of the folk scene--and for its reminder that it's good not to take yourself too seriously.
Ultimately I want to write and perform my own music, but that's a long way off. Until then, I look forward to learning and playing as much as possible.
Thanks to everyone for participating and making this such a great forum.

Posted : 13/05/2010 10:53 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Great stuff there, I like Sufjan Steven's music too, Riffs And Variations On A Single Note For Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, And The King Of Swing, To Name A Few. Welcome! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 14/05/2010 1:38 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Howdy, fellow Illinoisian :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 14/05/2010 2:03 am
(@mighty-windy-gurl)
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome, both of you. Greetings!

Posted : 14/05/2010 2:20 am
(@mighty-windy-gurl)
Topic starter

I knew I forgot someone: Tom Waits! Awesome singer/songwriter. I love his gravelly (yet, I think, quite beautiful) voice, his creativity, and his constantly pushing his own boundaries.

Posted : 14/05/2010 1:56 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard from a former Illinoisian! 8) (still just 12 miles over the border though.) :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/06/2010 6:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! Writing and recording your own music may not be as far away as you think - I joined GN about 6 years ago, I'd written quite a few songs prior to that, but never recorded anything. Within a few months I was writing regularly - after finding the Sunday Songwriters Group - and recording rough demos of some of my own songs.

Try downloading Audacity from www.sourceforge.com - it's a free recording program, and quite user friendly. All you need is a computer mic, and you're ready to go.

Also, if you're a writer, try dropping into the Sunday Songwiters Group - a different assignment every week, designed to help you practise your writing.

All the best,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/06/2010 8:42 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to chatting with you on the forum!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 08/06/2010 3:25 am