Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone or Harley Benton

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cohenish)
Topic starter

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing great!

So, I'm about to order my first guitar this week and I've norrowed it down to 2:
The new Epiphone Les Paul Special (Vintage Edition) , that I think it's the same as the older Special II.
OR
Harley Benton SC-1000 Progressive

My budget can go up to 250€, but I'm buying from Thomann, and I want a full pack (little amp, strap, picks, bag, etc)
For the first months I really just want to learn the basics, with a lot of practice and concentration, and then I'll worry about more complex matters.

The weird part is... I really like Leonard Cohen and I would love to learn some songs, but also, my friends have been pushing me to go play with them metal stuff, and the sound does not have to be all that great, just for experimenting things.

What would you sugest? I really like the single cut format, and for a first guitar I'm looking for something not very expensive but that works just fine, and when I feel that it has come to it, I'd buy other one or upgrade my own, in one or two years.
So, which of those 2 would you think it's more versatile?

Any tips are helpful.

Sorry for the bummer, I know this kind of questions suck, but anyway.. thank you in advance.

Posted : 25/03/2018 9:58 pm
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

What guitar are you currently playing?

My sense is that you "want it all" for your £250. You do realize that part of that sum is for the amp, the picks, the strap, etc? What's left is a pretty inexpensive guitar that may be enough to get you started, but will likely result in you getting frustrated, sore fingers, lousy tuning and other detriments. This may be okay with you, but I think you'll find very quickly that you're wanting a better guitar.

I could be wrong. Epiphone and Harley Benton (a brand I admit is new to me) get terrific reviews. They do cut corners at times (paint, fretting, electronics, etc.), but as a starter set, they're probably the best you can get.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

Posted : 27/03/2018 12:45 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:14 pm