Clear all

G'day from Aus

27 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@marcusmd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Not only is Cat a songwriter but also a translator!

The only one we need you guys to do for us is "Have a nice day" - sometimes I think that people don't really mean it and it could be "Stuff You!"

M

Posted : 20/08/2008 1:35 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

When the first Croc Dundee came out I saw it in Arizona. The bit where Mick phoned his tavern hangout and the big lug at the bar insisted on taking the phone and saying "Get stuffed, Mick!" got me a bit homesick! No-one thought that was at all funny 'cept me...BECAUSE that was freakin' REAL!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 20/08/2008 6:22 am
(@spides)
Estimable Member

Dude i have never seen this much Australian colloquialism in my life!!!

I think we nicked the "Oi" from the brits, tho I've heard at least a few americans use it(think the Ramones..."Oi! Ho! Let's go!")

It's funny, I went over to California in high school and unconsciously started using Aussie Slang with the thickest accent I've ever heard. Maybe I was scared of getting shot and thought if they knew i was australian they'd leave me alone.

Anyways, good to see another aussie on here, although its a shame youre from sydney.(j/k)

It would be good to see a few more melbourne people on here tho.

Anyways, be seein ya round the forums mate.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

Posted : 20/08/2008 8:09 am
(@marcusmd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The Sydney view of Melbourne:

1 Good coffee - we actually run a few shops down there that employ marginalised people and refugees
2 Great wine bars - not that I need a drink every single day
3 Good sailing out of Sandringham
4 Cheap flights back to Sydney and the surf
5 Real live music venues not poker machine filled rooms

Thats a start and probably enough as I have scales to learn and fingers to burn

M

Posted : 20/08/2008 10:12 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

1 Good coffee -
2 Great wine bars -
3 Good sailing
4 Cheap flights

Melbourne's beaut...but I still think that The Gold Coast has it over the rest of the country! I snooped all over the place before I chose this part of Oz. As an expat New Yorker...who's been here going on 20 years...I gotta say I lucked out with my choice of places. Indeed, it ain't called "The Lucky Country" for nothing!

The club scene is better than average...where you can find consistantly good music...and lots of Jam Clubs.

Cat

Posted : 20/08/2008 11:23 pm
(@spides)
Estimable Member

The Sydney view of Melbourne:

1 Good coffee - we actually run a few shops down there that employ marginalised people and refugees
2 Great wine bars - not that I need a drink every single day
3 Good sailing out of Sandringham
4 Cheap flights back to Sydney and the surf

Thats a start and probably enough as I have scales to learn and fingers to burn

M

Damn Straight. Although unfortunately more and more of our venues are turning into pokies halls:(
Real estate agents are buying property around venues real cheap (on account of the noise) and then writing to council to complain about noise pollution. Wheen the venue gets shut down, they sell the property at a significantly increased margin. It sucks.

I have been to sydney once and found it very frustrating to be out at night. In melbourne you can bar hop from place to place, venue to venue, all night because its all in the cbd. In sydney the venues are a few suburbs apart. I really liked the weather and the views up there though.

Perth is starting to take over as the best city now though, awesome music scene and fantastic weather and views. Gold coast was always a little too "Miami Vice" for me but the theme parks are rad.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

Posted : 21/08/2008 6:34 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I can see how'd you come up with the Miama Vice sort of thing. But like anywhere, I guess, you get to know pretty quickly what are the places the tourists hang out (HEAPS from Melbourne...so what's THAT tell you? :lol:) as opposed to the local places. Hey, some still have posters from acts, like, 30 years ago!

Still, it's all wabi sabi from where I sit!

Cat

Posted : 21/08/2008 7:20 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Another G'day mate - from the premium side of the best country in the top planet on the finest galaxy in the universe...

Can you tell that I quite like West Australia???

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 24/08/2008 2:03 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

And you've managed to make WA heaps better...WITH THAT PORCH! :mrgreen:

Cat

Posted : 24/08/2008 3:05 am
(@marcusmd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

NICE porch!

Lets not start the Duelling Banjos bit again OK!

I think the ones with 2 heads come out in Freo late at night after the pubs have closed and then move south!

In Sydney we have Manly and Bondi - sometimes a bit hard to see the banjo boys for the poms beating on each ather after a few bevvvvieees

Posted : 28/08/2008 12:12 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome !

Posted : 28/08/2008 11:21 am
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 11/09/2008 11:34 pm
Page 2 / 2