Clear all

[greeting] Hello [/greeting]

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@john-iscariot)
Topic starter

Hi there,

I'm John, I'm 46 and from Wellington, New Zealand.

I've been trying to teach myself to play the guitar for about 6 weeks - I think.

Initially, I had no interest in learning the guitar, but my 6 year old said he wanted to learn, so we bought him a guitar at Christmas, which he then promptly ignored.

6 months later ... Kid's guitar is sitting gathering dust - so I [foolishly] said to my wife, I'll buy myself a guitar and try and learn too and see if that inspires him.

So I bought myself a guitar ... turns out I am not too crash hot on the inspiration thing ... because the kid's guitar is still gathering dust... I, however, have managed to stick with it.

Am currently bouncing around between online You Tube videos and the free version of a thing called Yousician to try and get a handle on things.

I *think* I am having fun.

I *AM* growing to hate my thick finger pads, which display a remarkable ability to mute all strings within a given radius of a chord. Oh well.

Cheers.

Posted : 19/07/2016 6:32 am
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

That's great. I also started that way. My son won a guitar at cedarpoint and when he gave up I started playing and showed him what I learned. Now he shreds the guitar beyond my abilities.

I learned faster then him at first because I used videos but he stayed true to reading music. Now I'm trying to catch up. He can play songs he never heard before on the spot at nearly full speed.

I just have to laugh every time I give him music sheets.

My son was older then yours at that time but he will see you playing someday and pick it back up.

Posted : 26/07/2016 2:07 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:35 pm