Notifications
Clear all

Greetings

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vet_ca)
Topic starter

Hello everyone, my name is vet_ca. I live in the frozen north of North America. I've recently turned 64 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 16. I started with a nylon string guitar (still have it) and shortly thereafter purchased an old Eko 12 string. Retaining both guitars I bought a Martin D-18. I took classical guitar lessons with the old nylon string (for about 1 year) then before moving to Canada I purchased a Guild J 45 rosewood. The last guitar I purchased from eBay was an anchor...yep...1978 Fender strat (I "hot-rodded" it's neck when I worked in a guitar luthier's shop). So 5 guitars and 48 years later I'm still trying to figure the thing out. I picked up finger picking early and have never left that style of playing. I use a pick only rarely and am reasonable proficient with the thing. Stuff I like to play...James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, Beatles, Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Judy Collins/Leonard Cohen, Donovan, CS&N/CSN&Y, Niel Young, Mason Williams, and a bunch of old standards.

I wrote, played and sang for many years. There were times when I couldn't put a guitar down. Conversely, there were times (years on end some time) when I never touched one. I'm coming out of one of those "down" times now. I'm finding I have a difficult time remembering the words and even the chord changes and little arpeggios. I'm also finding that I know absolutely nothing about this wonderful instrument. Seems like I have to start at the beginning...mapping the fretboard, learning scales and modes (nuts...just when my memory's starting to flag). However, I am determined!

Well I hope that's given you a little insight into me. If you have any questions I guess you can always pm me.

Thanks for having me here and a hearty cheers to one and all,
vet_ca :D

Posted : 25/05/2012 6:31 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

On behalf of the MANY over-60's...welcome, matey!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 25/05/2012 8:54 pm