Greetings

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Kaz
(@kaz)
Topic starter

Greetings Guitar Noise community!

My name is Colin but most of the time, I go by Kaz online. I am from Montreal, currently attending McGill university in Engineering.

I started playing the acoustic guitar relatively late, at the end of my second semester which was a little more than a year ago. I've wanted to play the guitar since I was 5 but for really silly reasons (now that I reflect upon it), I never ended up picking it up. What changed my mind was a point, where I felt really overwhelmed. A friend of mine came over and lent me his acoustic guitar. Long story short, I've been playing it ever since (even bought it off of him).

At first, I really tried to play anything and everything that had an acoustic guitar in it. The first song I ever learned fully was Dust in the Wind. A rare case I think among all the starters? My major issue was that my fingerpicking was progressing much faster than my strumming, it's still the case. I believe I learned Wonderwall only after 3-4 songs.

The very first song I ever learned that I loved was Don't Panic by Coldplay. That's actually how I found this site. Ever since then, I couldn't stop visiting, namely David Hodge's lessons because it was thanks to him I learned that Coldplay song. David, if you're reading this, thank you!

I finally signed up to the forums because I am still learning and I always seem to have questions on how to play a particular song but those questions are left unanswered. Currently there is this strumming pattern which I've been dying to learn but been unable to. Hopefully I'll manage eventually when the site saves me again! And later on, I would be able to help others who were in my situation.

Well that's it for now.

"Music can be like perfume, it's almost a scent, you know, where the right smell changes an environment and makes life more bearable." ~ Imogen Heap

Posted : 02/09/2006 3:35 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

greetings, and unless you're studying in your 40s I think you'll find you started relatively early compared to a lot here ;)

Posted : 02/09/2006 5:26 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Kaz! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/09/2006 6:05 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Kaz! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/09/2006 6:23 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Oh and if you mentioned the song you need help with, someone just might be able to help ;)

Posted : 02/09/2006 7:10 pm
 Kaz
(@kaz)
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcomes!

I am turning 22 in October, so I started at the end of my 20th year or so.

I've spent the last few hours listening and practicing strumming from a link I saw in another section of these forums. It really rekindled my urge to play again. Then I started reading up on the singing. In my group of friends, probably half of them have background music, a couple of them are part of a band which is why I've wanted to improve so quickly. I am always a bit shy when it comes to singing but maybe that'll change. =)

It was a bit overwhelming which forum to post about the song, I am leaning towards Easy Songs section. Anyway the song is 'Ride' by the Cary Brothers. I don't even know which chords or how the strumming pattern goes. But I love it. The strumming pattern is suddenly in every song I listen to.

"Music can be like perfume, it's almost a scent, you know, where the right smell changes an environment and makes life more bearable." ~ Imogen Heap

Posted : 02/09/2006 7:51 pm