Notifications
Clear all

Greetings from Syria

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@alpha8wolf)
Topic starter

Hello, everyone. I am Yeser from Syria, and I am glad I found this forum.

I started playing guitar when I was 8 years old with the only motivator being my parents saying "You won't regret it." and they were right indeed. I started learning classic guitar on my nylon-strings classic-acoustic guitar. I was taught in Arabic language and I learned only classical music. Also I was lazy, I procrastinated a lot, and there would come times where I would stop playing for more than 5 months. I kept telling myself that I loved the guitar but in truth I didn't. However...

Some years ago the dawn of war came upon my beautiful country. No electricity, sometimes no food and water, no safety...etc. All I had was my friends, my books, and (you guessed it) my guitar.

I picked up the guitar once more... I had no teacher, I had not played the guitar for an entire year, there were mortar shells and firefights outside (allow me to get dramatic) and I played the guitar...

I played the Metro: LL & Metro: 2033 Theme by memory. It fit the atmosphere... it was... perfect.

Ever since then (6 months ago) I have been playing the guitar with true passion and dedication. I make use of the internet whenever possible and I realized that I'm not that good. First I don't know anything about music theory in English. Sure, my English is good and I knew music theory in Arabic but for some reason it's very hard to re-learn music theory in English. Also I realized I need so much practice in other genres. All I played was classic fingerstyle. I wasn't even taught one chord!

But that's okay. Guitar learning is not a competition, but a beautiful journey that requires passion & dedication. I've progressed in these 6 months more than my entire life of playing guitar. I am glad I've crossed paths with all of you, and I'll be looking forward for receiving advice, criticism, and making new friendships.

To the beauty of the challenge,

Y.B

Posted : 20/02/2015 6:36 pm
(@alangreen)

Welcome to Guitar Noise. Keep your head down; have fun here.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 20/02/2015 9:51 pm