25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

don't knock the morris dancing Vic...its NOT illegal :lol:

but then again neither are socks and sandals :roll: 8) :lol:

and starpics.....can i just add that i keep losing my ferrari **nudge** :wink:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 20/06/2008 7:50 am
(@starpics)
Topic starter

Welcome to GN Starpics! :D

Thank you for your warm welcome everybody.

Its great to be here among fellow axemen and women. I look forward to making many friends and havin a bit of fun along the way. Its time to "ROCK" the guitar world. (Pardon the pun)

Cheers to all :-)

Posted : 23/06/2008 1:38 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I just bumped this one back up to the top to let you all know Simon (Mr Starpics) kept his word, and sent me not one but TWO of his pics to try - first impressions, very favourable. I've sent a review to Mr Hodge, so watch out for that! Oh, and the photos on the website don't do them justice - they look far better in the flesh, so to speak. Absolutely gorgeous, in fact.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/07/2008 10:52 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

This could be a near record turnaround, Vic's well-written review is online already at https://www.guitarnoise.com/review/starpics/

Nice job, Vic!

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/07/2008 8:47 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have 2 Brazilian Agate picks (not from Starpics) and they are totally different to any other material that I've come across. I have picks from several types of plastic, bone, wood, copper, I've used coins and various other things, but nothing is like smooth stone.

There's no discernable pick noise, they slide over the strings like nothing else. One day, I might invest in a Starpic, but as long as I can get mine for €4, I have a problem justifying €20+.

By the way, one thing that you could do to improve your offering is to give pick measurements - there's no way of telling if the pick is "standard" , jazz or whatever size, from the picture.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 09/07/2008 9:52 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I have 2 Brazilian Agate picks (not from Starpics) and they are totally different to any other material that I've come across. I have picks from several types of plastic, bone, wood, copper, I've used coins and various other things, but nothing is like smooth stone.

There's no discernable pick noise, they slide over the strings like nothing else. One day, I might invest in a Starpic, but as long as I can get mine for €4, I have a problem justifying €20+.

By the way, one thing that you could do to improve your offering is to give pick measurements - there's no way of telling if the pick is "standard" , jazz or whatever size, from the picture.

I did send some pictures to David - I suppose he didn't need them because there's a link to the site.

This'll give you an idea of size, though....

And thickness.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/07/2008 10:18 am
(@starpics)
Topic starter

Gudday VIC...I had a feelin youd like them :-)

Nothing quite beats converting a sceptic..it NEVER fails to happen. Once you try one..you are hooked.

The testimonial you wrote was almost the same as the one Paul Grierson from "Simply Bushed" wrote...HE was a sceptic too..and like you he ended up writing a whole page.

The reason they are $30 as compared to the cheap brazillian made ones is this.

They are gauranteed for LIFE..they are TRADEMARKED by a registrered legitimate company and are totally hand made by me...one at a time. I select the BEST stone and cut each pick a certain way. No two are ever the same and each one is cut to bring out the best of the stone AND the pick itself.

Each pick is cut for certain types of styles...and each pick has been ground especially with a certain edge and response in mind.

I dont pump these things out willy nilly. A lot of careful consideration goes into each and every pick...AND..if they ever break..I will replace them for FREE.

Each and every pick takes about half an hour to make...sometime longer depending on the pick I am making.

Beat that.

By the way VIC..the blue one did not have a trademark on it because it has a slight flaw and thus was unsellable. See if you can spot the flaw...thats how fussy I am with my plectrums..if even the slightest flaw is found..I dont sell it..I give it away.
The pink one was trademarked..it is flawless.

Cheers dude..and I hope you enjoy then totally.

Simon.

Posted : 10/07/2008 7:37 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yep, spotted the flaw - it was still good of you to send it to me. And it sounds pretty good too!

Still enjoying being able to play with a pic again - haven't dropped one down a soundhole yet, haven't lost one yet either! Definitely some kind of longevity record....

Vic

Posted : 12/07/2008 10:32 pm
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

hey Vic, which picks did he sent you standard,jazz and which is which.

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

Posted : 14/07/2008 12:54 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm not exactly sure what the plecs are - and to be honest, it doesn't seem to matter! I like the thinner blue one for lead, and the thick pink one for strumming, but they both seem to do the same job with equal facility. I seem slightly more comfortable with the larger, thinner pick - but then, when I've bought picks in the past, they've always tended to be on the large but thinnish side, so maybe that's just what I'm used to.

Well - it's been nearly two weeks - still haven't dropped one, and still got both!

Vic

Posted : 15/07/2008 1:56 pm
Page 2 / 2