Clear all

guitar / amp advice HELP !!!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimfish55)
Topic starter

hi everyone,
Im hoping i can finaly get some help here , ive waisted hundreds over the years on incorect gear ,
Im about to purchase a fishman mini ,, my worry is ill get it home not like the sound ,
its all down to having EQ on my yamaha compass plus seperate knobs for treble and bass .
I really dont know where to set the EQ for that natural sound ,,
My next problem is i do not understand gain on an acoustic amp ,, In my opinion i thought that was crunch for electric ? so i have volume on my acoustic , aster volume on the Amp PLUS gain on the amp which is another volume ,,, Ive waisted so many yers unplugged because i cannot find the correct sound ,,
plus gone through various amps ,,,
Ive saved for over a year for the fishman ,, just want a nice sound
PLEASE ADVICE / HELP ,,, most gratefull

Posted : 13/09/2017 11:06 am
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

First thing I am going to say is,

1. Take your guitar, your cables, and anything that would directly effect the sound out of the amplifier with you to try it out. If you are buying online its a bit more tricky if I am aiming for a specific sound, I want to have my gear with me to try out the amp before I buy it. I know I can watch You Tube Videos or reviews of Amps and hear what others sound like but I can play your gear and sound different than you just because I strum harder/softer, or my strokes with my pick are different than yours.

Go to the amp with your gear, try it out, Start at a happy medium point lets say all knobs, or slides on the EQ set to middle. and make adjustments playing the same thing, looking for the "sound" your trying to achieve. I have a good repertoire with the local music shop I frequent so they know my likes dislikes and that If I am seriously making a purchase That just the bells and whistles wont do, I want to see what I sound like, feel like. etc. etc.

Posted : 14/09/2017 10:40 pm
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

Almost forgot,

The Gain knob your speaking of is most likely similar to a channel volume, how much of the guitar is going to pick up kinda similar to a Mixing Interface. Helps with gaining and reducing the overtones, feedback, and the signal it picks up from your guitar, higher gain can give you everything right down to when you breathe on the strings, where lower gain will have lower volume and less response.

Posted : 16/09/2017 8:25 pm
(@guitardude12)

think we all done this but yes great advice by nleashedfury take you're guitar and cables and test the amp with you're gear this was you know way better the sound you're getting

Posted : 23/09/2017 1:41 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:21 pm