Clear all

Hello ;)

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@juliekc)
Topic starter

Hello,

I found this site today. I started to play the guitar a long time ago when I was about 10 yrs old. At 18 I quit playing and got involved with starting a family. After quitting for about 20 yrs, apart from the odd little tinkle here and there, I finally got another guitar about 1-2 yrs ago and got back into playing. So much has been forgotten, but the odd tunes etc have started coming back.

I have now only got an acoustic but enjoying every moment of it, I am now attempting to write my own songs (badly, hehe). It's all just fun for me and I enjoy it. I came across this site actually looking for some information about the noise from the friction on the acoustic strings, someone had told me that I should use vaseline and it eases the squeaking. I was looking to see if anyone else actually used this technique and if it actually worked. So here I am..

On another note, when I was young I used to play in a school band that eventually continued outside school as well. I was then lead singer, although I never claimed to be much of a singer, I was able to perform. Nowadays, the whole idea of singing petrifies me. I suffer from anxiety and performance anxiety is one of the things that has been most affected. Does anyone else have similar problems, or has anyone ever overcome something similar?

Anyway, glad to have found the site and hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

Take care all..

Julie

Posted : 12/08/2007 4:54 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Welcome to GN, Julie!

I'm sure a few people will have answers to your questions, though you might have more luck if you post them over in the "beginner's" forum :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 12/08/2007 5:01 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Julie! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/08/2007 5:24 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Julie.
i noticed your name (the KC part) and thought you were in my area before i saw you had a "uk" at the end of your messenger connection in your profile. i see from your site that you run a forum for anxiety.
trying to drum up a little business? :lol:
most of the people here suffer from G.A.S. anxiety, got anything for that?

#4491....

Posted : 12/08/2007 5:32 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hahahaha, TL. Good try...you know there is no cure for the GAS we experience. We just deal with it.

Welcome to the GN forums, Julie.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 13/08/2007 12:53 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard! :)

Good to hear you picked up the guitar again after a long layoff. The nice thing about it is, as you mentioned, things start to come back to you quickly, & that gives you a good feeling!

Good Luck on the songwriting!

Cheers, katmetal

Posted : 13/08/2007 2:38 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN !

Posted : 13/08/2007 5:52 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi JulieKC!

I think the noise will disapear when you have more control of your fingers. ;)

Welcome to GN! :D

Posted : 13/08/2007 2:22 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome Julie, I'm glad you found this site to :wink:

Posted : 13/08/2007 4:03 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Should that to have been too? I always get those two confused.

Posted : 13/08/2007 4:04 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Julie! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 15/08/2007 9:48 pm
(@juliekc)
Topic starter

WOW! Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

KC is the nick of a network I run, I am not from Kentucky, I'm from the south of England. @ TwistedLefty

Julie

Posted : 15/08/2007 10:20 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome from the North of England! Good to see another recidivist.....

If you could sing back then, you can sing now - your voice may have changed over the years, but the phrasing and timing should come back with practise. I was exactly the opposite - I was always scared to open my mouth and sing, didn't think my voice was worth listening to - but once I got the confidence to start posting some music I'd written, I got a lot of encouragement to add vocals - so I thought, "what the hell, in for a penny....." and started singing as well. I still don't think much of my own voice, but hey, it's different and people seem to like it - or at least are able to put up with it.....

Hope you get as much out of GN as I have!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/08/2007 12:09 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Julie. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 16/08/2007 3:28 pm