Clear all

Hello all

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've just found this site hours ago and through my reading, I have found lots of valuable information and so many nice people. So far, I haven't seen any out of the way comments/replies to posts. Seems like a very nice community to be a part of.

So, on to the introduction. My name is Jim Johnson and was born and raised in southeast Kentucky, USA. I live in a small town with low population. Very peaceful (most of the time) and overall a nice place to live. Ever since I can remember I've always been into guitar, and I got my first real axe on my 6th birthday. Before that I had a tiny little rinky dink $20 mini acoustic guitar. So my first real guitar was a black harmony electric guitar. I couldn't tell you if the fretboard was ebony or rosewood, but it was dark wood. That really doesn't matter at this point I guess. So I got the guitar and I had no idea what to do with it. It came with a small practice amp, an extra set of strings, some guitar picks, the required cable and if I remember correctly it also had a small booklet with the basic chords and some beginner's songs to play.
I didn't take well to learning from the book though. I didn't want to play chords. I wanted to ROCK! At the time though, I only knew one other person who played the guitar, and mainly what they showed me was the power chord. At my young age "Power Chord" just sounded awesome, and it really sounded like ROCK despite the fact that the most distortion I could get from the amp was just cranking the volume to 11 and attacking the strings heavily.
So the first song I learned was none other than Enter Sandman. I played it very poorly, but I didn't care. I was learning! I loved playing my guitar. It was everything that I imagined and MORE!

So I've never took any formal guitar lessons mostly because of the lack of musicians in the area, and so I just continued to learn parts of songs that I could figure out by ear. I remember that my music teacher told me that I had an exceptionally good ear for music, and I when I look back on it, I can remember before I ever got a guitar I'd bought a cheap recorder for $3. I had figured out how to play numerous little tunes on it only using my ear, and I always wanted to show what I could do to my teacher.

I kept playing my guitar all the time until I reached the age of 12 or so. At that time I started getting into other things and almost lost interest in guitar altogether, even though I still played it. I didn't play every day like before. My guess is that it was due to becoming a teenager and wanting to explore other parts of life. I never really picked my guitar back up until I was 16 or 17 and before too long I finally realized that I wasn't really getting any better. I was just learning to play more songs. Some of them were challenging ofcourse, but they all were really just the same thing. Since then. I've sortof been stuck in a rut, where I've nearly reached the peak of my abilities. I don't think it's due to the fact that it's not physically possible. I just don't know where to start learning the more technical parts of playing.
I do know the major scale, and can play it in any location on the neck, but from there I don't know where to go. I don't exactly know how to utilize a scale when playing solo, but I do know there's more to it than just playing up and down the notes of a scale.

Well. I guess that about somes it up. I'll definately be spending a lot of time here. =]

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Posted : 02/03/2007 10:04 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN Jim. You'll find lots of fun stuff here. The Easy Songs thread will probably give you plenty of ideas.

Denny

Posted : 02/03/2007 10:12 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome fingers.....your future is in your own hands...literally :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 02/03/2007 10:36 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great introductory post, Jim, now we know EXACTLY where you're coming from - where you're going to is up to you!!! I wish you all the best on your musical adventures!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/03/2007 10:52 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Jim! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/03/2007 11:06 pm
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Hello, Jim. I live in east KY too! Welcome to the forums. Not exactly a happening music scene in old Ky huh? :lol:

Posted : 03/03/2007 3:33 am
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

haha. You're tellin' me.

Where about in east ky do you live man?

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Posted : 03/03/2007 6:02 am
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Floyd County. I lived in Lexington for a few years and moved back. Just my luck that I didn't pick up the guitar again until after I moved. :?

Posted : 03/03/2007 6:29 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Jim.

See you round the boards.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 03/03/2007 11:50 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, FF!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/03/2007 1:35 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/03/2007 1:50 pm
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Floyd County. I lived in Lexington for a few years and moved back. Just my luck that I didn't pick up the guitar again until after I moved. :?

Wow, such a small world. I live in floyd county myself.

To everyone else.
Thanks for the very warm welcome. =]

Posted : 03/03/2007 2:38 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, I think that you and Stengah need to get together and jam!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/03/2007 4:46 pm
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I wholeheartedly agree.

Like he said before. The music scene in east ky is practically nonexistant so it would be a great deal of fun for me to be able to jam with someone.

Posted : 03/03/2007 4:57 pm
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Cool! I've been mostly working on lead stuff lately. I know a lot of short scalar and arpeggio type runs, but I'm having trouble putting everything together. I end up getting stuck a lot. It seems like I know a lot of bits and pieces of stuff, but connecting it all together where it sounds good has been kinda frustrating. Rhythm is something I have been neglecting lately, but I know some miscellaneous metal riffs. 8)

Posted : 04/03/2007 12:37 am
Page 1 / 2