Clear all

Hello All

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 drk
(@drk)
Topic starter

I am another one of the older beginners, had my Taylor 210 for just more than a year, have been reading this site for all of that time. I have been taking lessons since December, and that is the best thing I have ever spent money for. I didn't complete any song front to back before lessons, now I know nearly 10, and am working on the Beatles' "Blackbird." The single most important thing I found on this site for beginners was to find a teacher. If you can, you must. Donald

Posted : 27/05/2007 1:55 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Donald! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/05/2007 2:43 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Donald. Good advice & good luck on learning your new song. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/05/2007 2:43 am
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Welcome, Donald. I have been playing since 1980, and I have used a teacher from time to time. Good advice!

Posted : 27/05/2007 3:35 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Donald.

I have to agree, money spent on lessons is certainly a good investment. I have progressed a lot further in the 18 months I have have been taking lessons than I could ever have hoped to have done trying to tech myself.

Keep up the progress.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 27/05/2007 4:43 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Donald! 8)

Posted : 27/05/2007 9:05 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Donald. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 27/05/2007 2:40 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Donald, and welcome to GN. I'm one of the guys who's never had a teacher, I'd messed about with 3/4 chords for about 30 years till I joined .....made a huge difference to me! But - with hindsight - I wish I'd been sensible enough to get a teacher years ago. You made a wise decision there!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/05/2007 1:20 am
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Interesting advice, thanks. As a new player myself, I've been kicking around the idea of getting some sessions in with a teacher. Working it into the schedule and the money aspect could be tricky, but we'll see.

Welcome!

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 28/05/2007 4:11 am
 drk
(@drk)
Topic starter

I'm glad to be here. I have to add that I believe I got lucky as well on my first pick for teaching: he is awesome, we have many similar music tastes, and we talk about music, guitar, philosophy, theory, etc. So, I might not have been so enthusiastic if it didn't work well. So if your not lucky, be choosy and find someone who likes what you like, that you like to be around, and that you learn from. It's also really rewarding when you have been working hard for the four walls, and someone recognizes and acknowledges it, and pushes you to the next thing.

Boy I sound preachy! Donald.

Posted : 28/05/2007 3:36 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Welcome Donald, having a teacher is a big plus.

Posted : 28/05/2007 8:13 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome donald 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 29/05/2007 3:11 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Donald!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/05/2007 2:59 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member